Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Picked up another Philco 37-650

I picked up another radio it’s a Philco 37-650. The cabinet is in pretty good condition, but the chassis is in very bad shape. Looks like the chassis sat in water for quite a while. No sign of water on the cabinet. So I’m guessing is it’s not the original chassis, speaker is trashed too. I took some pictures of the chassis.

[attachment=20339][attachment=20340][attachment=20341]

Do you think it’s worth trying to repair, or should I try to find a replacement?

Philco 41-295X 4 band radio.
I'm 67 years old, in north Idaho.

I would try to find another chassis.
It could be repaired but the effort will be way more significant than usual. Judging by a very sad look of the underchassis, many coils would be open, many wires would need replacement, and it is even conceivable that the whole assembly would need to be dropped and the chassis chemically cleaned and re-plated first.
Personally I am not a big fan of it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

+1 Mike
Sometimes after doing a bunch of work you can still have odd intermittent issues. That by the time you get it all sorted and buy a "parts" chassis you're better off w/another chassis to fix.

I've got an old Hallicrafters S-11 from 1936. Originally was a nice set and has p/p 6L6's for the audio output. I got cheep. From panel looks good and has all of it's knobs BUT the insides and bottom RUSTY! Haven't quite decided what I'm going to do w/it.
Here's one on YT not mine and as been hacked w/a S meter.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXTafja70BY  Should just have an eye tube.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks for the reply’s, I have to agree I need a new chassis, will start looking around to see if I can find one. Mean while, I will restore the cabinet.

Philco 41-295X 4 band radio.
I'm 67 years old, in north Idaho.