Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Y600 Zenith Transoceanic with 6T40 chassis restoration

The radio was gifted to me by Sam. The very first time we met he stuffed an H500 and two 600 TOs in my trunk.
They miss the tubes, so have to get those.

It has been a week since I started this chassis.
I finished recap, with the exception of the electrolytic caps.
The tubular 12uF is shorted out.
So is one out of for sections of the twistlock cap, which is badly out of tolerance, the 200uF section being 800 uF. This was replaced before as the values are 4x40uF.
Restuffing might not work due to size constraints so I might consider buying one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I guess I compressed too much in one paragraph. Icon_smile

I bought the twistlock from Hamfest and 10 days ago installed it.

Then I needed the tubes.

Kirk sent me some, and then he sent me 50A1 which is made of hens' teeth.
Then I needed a couple more so he sent me a boxful of those....I guess so I don't bother him again.
Today is Thanksgiving so I doubt today will be very fruitful but tomorrow is another day.

Thanks Kirk! (And please do send me the amount I owe you after all the packages you sent to me).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

So, first off, I replaced the selenium rectifier with a 1N4007 diode and 147 ohm resistor (a 130 ohm one is already there).
Then today after having received the tubes from Kirk, I powered the radio up.
147 ohm proved to be too much and for the time being I removed it altogether.
Then I was wondering about no sound until I remembered the phones switch.
Then the BC band came alive.

The radio sounds very nice even out of the cabinet.

Alignment tomorrow.

Aligned the radio today. 16M band is a bit off, couldn't bring the alignment to exact point of the dial; the rest of the bands was ok.

Reception is good.
Tomorow will put it in the cabinet.

I think at this point this would be my last TO.
Too many portable Zeniths over the last year.
Time to switch.

Good stuff Mike!

Before you close your book on the TO's you ought to try and pick up one of the later R-7000 solid state sets; the last made in the USA.  The R-7000's are starting to show up at Kutztown and I picked up a near mint one a year or two ago.  It replaced one I bought off eBay in fair condition that didn't play very well, but after I recapped it it performed great.

Even the earliest solid state TO, the Royal 1000, is a good performer but it lacks FM:

http://www.antiqueradio.com/TransOcean_10-96.html

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

I have a 7000, I am not sure if it is Taiwanese or US made. Also have 1000 and BC-FM 2000

Also wouldn't mind having the military one but with no Kirk luck and considering I don't mend cabinets this could be expensive.

So it is on its place on the top shelf together with the gramps, 7G605.
Will post a photo later, phone photos don't fit without compression and I don't have a compression app on my phone.

PS. Actually on the phone, even in horizontal mode (I use Chrome) the Add picture button is not displayed. Even though I found I had a resizer installed.

The Top Dogs belong on the top shelf.

Hi Mike!!  You have some nice TO's  Could you tell me what color is your Stromberg Carlson AWP-8  is?  Mine is kind of a Light Green Color

Sincerely 

Keith Jansen

Keith

I remember we spoke of this radio in 2014 when I bought it.
Mine is green. Not sure how to describe it. I don't think there was more than one green.

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthrea...ight=AWP-8

Here's the restoration I did a year ago. The first pic was taken with a good camera, so the color should be reasonably close to what it is in reality.

Mike.

My dad has 2 of the TOs like the one pictured to the right on the black speaker...

Those 1L6s are quite spendy... Anyone ever try the solid state replacement offered on ebay?
Just wondering if its any good?

Steve

I have tubes inside. I thought of trying 50A1 current stabilizer replacement, but then Kirk gifted me one he found inside a junk TO and it was good.

The TO you are talking about on top my......rojection TV Icon_smile is H500.

Steve, I have 2 TOs, in one of them I have the SS replacement for the 50A1 and in the other the replacement for the 1L6. Both have been working great!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84