Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Record Blanks for 1941 Philco Beam of Light Record Cutter

I'm restoring a 1941 Philco Beam of Light 78 rpm phonograph (Radio/phono Model 41-608) with the optional HR-1 record cutter (uses a X-26 crystal cutter cartridge with steel cutter stylus). I've had the playback tone arm and record cutter cartridge rebuilt by Gib at West Tech; I've repainted the changer; and now I'm starting to work on the mechanism.

I need a source of blank discs to test the record cutter and for general recording use. I see PVC and polycarbonate blanks for sale at about $3.50 each which is not a bad price.

However, are these the correct ones to use with this cutter? Is one type better than another for record longevity and/or ease of cutting?

I worry that the PVC or polycarbonate may be too soft and the heavier tacking of playback tone arm may destroy the recorded PVC/polycarbonate disc after a few plays. 

Does anyone have any experience with this and can they recommend a source for a good, economical source for the correct type of record blanks for this type of cutter and application? After reading several posts on potential issues with NOS blanks, I prefer not to go that route if possible.

Scott