Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco RP 1 wireless phono

Hello guys I just joined up I have 14 Antique Radios including 3 Philcos  Floor model 41-290 x 610 and model 70 here is my question i have recently acquired a Philco RP 1  wireless phono i understand it needs some work including possibly the mini chassis the motor turns at 78 rpm I counted like I did for my Victrola a piece of paper under a record and count rpms per minute My question a supplier has good price Ceramic 
Phono cartridge conversion he says will fit the RP 1 and outperform and be more durable than the rebuilding of my old Chrystal cartridge I'm fairly sure its internals are bad and the restoration looks to be a real pain anyway does anyone know if this ceramic type cartridge and needle transmit the single to my radio as it should ? I will appreciate information seller is Vintage Electronics out of Hattisburg MS 

Thanks gentlemen

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I moved this thread over to the restoration section. Several folks here have restored RP-1s so I expect someone will have some thoughts on your questions.

Hi Ed and Welcome,
I would look at the specs for the ceramic cartridge. Typically the original crystal cartridge will make abt 3v output. I suspect that the ceramic cartridge is a little less at abt 2v.
Oldrestorer (Kirk) would be able to give you a more definitive answer as he has service several of the RP series players.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi the fellow. From Missisippi has a ceramic which he says replaces over 90 %;of crystal applications the ceramic has 1 . 3 volt output he says the originals were set around three volts because the crystal degraded after time in operation I guess I can try one of these ceramic only 30.00 bucks it would sure be better if it works than rebuilding the original I appreciate your info as you figure it out Ed S