Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 20 Restoration

Brand new user here...

I have a Model 20 I found on fleabay that, unfortunately, did not arrive in "working condition" as advertised originally.  Chassis was not secured to the cabinet, and rough handling in shipping caused some damage.  Also, a previous owner did some work on the radio and I don't think the work is electrically safe.  Not to mention a wire from one of the transformers is loose...

Who specializes in restoring these old radios using modern electrical components to replace old ones?  Ideally would retain the vintage look, just have new parts inside the old housings.  Cabinet is going to need a bit of work, as the grille has a couple places where it is broken...plus just general rehab work.

I'd do the work myself, but am brand new to this and it would be a years-long project for me to learn details of electronics (capacitors have a polarity that doesn't always agree with the stamping on the case--would need to test parts using an oscilloscope or other equipment I don't have, etc.)

Thanks in advance for helpful replies.

Welcome!

"Working condition" from eBay..... unless you personally know the seller, I would not rely on this statement.

I would advise to find your local antique radio society or club and ask them for help.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Welcome to the PHorum!
Icon_wave

You can try a couple things.  Put a query in the Wanted Ads section and see if there is someone on the Phorum that might be near enough to you and interested in helping out with the restoration.

The MAARC  Mid America Antique Radio Club is in the Kansas City area and you could contact them to see if there are members who are interested and able to help you out.

There are also restorers who you can ship the set to and they will ship it back, but as you are painfully aware, shipping can be an issue.  There are ways to ship these radios successfully although 20s have a fragile grill.  A few of these restorers are in our Resources section under Radio Repair and Restoration.  (including a couple that are about a 9 hour drive from you)

http://www.ontheair3.com/index7.html

Perhaps you can check these guys out, no personal experience, not too far I thinks.
Good luck, 

Paul

Tubetalk1

Shipping 20 cathedral should be avoided unless unavoidable.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.