Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Olympic 6-608-110

Today I began work on an Olympic 6-608-110 table radio. I have 2 of them. The first one I got had a good case and was in pretty good shape, except in shipping two of the knobs got broken. These are rather special knobs with the function, volume, tone, tuning, and band, molded right into the bakelite. The shaft for one of those knobs knob was also badly bent. I rather despaired of ever getting the right knobs, and set the radio aside for a while. A while later I ran across another of the same exact model. The case was worse, and the guts were filthy, but all the knobs were good, so I snagged it. Now I am going to restore the first one using the knobs and the pot from the second one. Of course there will be the usual complete replacement of the condensers, and checking of the resistors. This should keep me amused for a while. At least I think I have all the parts I am going to need for this one already. Here is a before picture of the chassis bottom, and a close up of the bad shaft.
[Image: https://66.media.tumblr.com/26d3400a710d...1_1280.jpg]

[Image: https://66.media.tumblr.com/d9107fcc2f2b...2_1280.jpg]

This hobby is such an addiction !
Mike

This is what this radio looks like...
[Image: https://66.media.tumblr.com/c73339efb8ac...o1_640.jpg]

Very 40's, Olympic was out of New York somewhere I think. Good luck!

Paul

Tubetalk1

I think Olympic was the main brand carried by Montgomery Wards. I remember that my grandmother in Vermont had an Olympic TV.

Montgomery Ward's house brand for radios/electronics was Airline.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Show us a recent under-chassis pic bud.   Icon_eek

I've finished replacing the electrolytic and paper condensers. The electrolytics were all in a 4 section cardboard cased unit on top of the chassis with long leads going to various places below. Once the old paper condensers were replaced, there was plenty of room to replace that unit with separate electrolytics under the chassis. Here's what it looks like now:
[Image: https://66.media.tumblr.com/967e6890c10e...fa3b2f.jpg]
Unfortunately, it is now too cold to do the refinishing of the cabinet, so that will have to wait until Spring. Today I ordered 80 pound braided fishing line which I will use to replace the dial cord. Once that is done, I can go on to alignment.

Very good Mike!
Looks like that one radial cap was a wise choice! Icon_idea

Today I got around to testing the tubes for this radio. One outright bad one, dead completely. and 2 weak ones. I have ordered replacements. I am sure I have some in the boxes of tubes I have not even gotten to since I moved here. I wrapped each tube in newspaper before putting them in the boxes. These all need to be tested as I unwrap them. There are several hundred of them. It was just easier to order replacements online. So, now I'll await their arrival, and then I can test out my work.

Someone told me to make sure I touched the filament pins with a soldering gun and solder before I pronounced them absolutely dead.

Yup, been there, done that, it's dead.

Looks like a pretty good size speaker there, maybe sound real sweet when done, is it 4x6? Paul

Tubetalk1

Nope, Paul, It's 6 x 9. Should sound pretty good when I get it finished.

Nice work mike that should turn out to be a good performing set with 6 tubes. Another bonus if both speakers are kaput those 6x9 car speakers make dandy replacements and they are cheap.

Merry Christmas. Happy Hanuka.

Well, the tubes I needed have come in, and tonight I tested the set and did an alignment. It was very close as is. On the bench, with just its loop antenna it picks up lots of stations on my bench, not the best place in the house for reception, it picks them up on both the broadcast and short wave bands. The new electrolytics are working out fine under the chassis, no hum, and the set sounds good. I do need to clean the volume pot though. It's scratchier than a dog with fleas. If we get a warm day soon, I'll strip the cabinet, and get started on redoing that. Once that is done, the chassis goes back in, and the radio will be done and join my collection.