Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is it worth it?

I have had for some time a Philco "Mystery" Remote Radio Control.  A Philco 39-116RX World's Fair radio just popped up some 2.5 hours from where I live.

Is it worth the effort to go 5 hours both ways to get it?  Do these remotes really work with the radios to change stations remotely?  Or, was it just a gimmick used by Philco to sell radios?

I'm pondering if it is worth the trouble.  Thanks for any insight.

Scott

Attached Files Image(s)

The Mystery controls work below broadcast band the remote sends a series of pulses keyed by the telephone dial. There is a type 30 tube and a fil/plate battery inside the filament lights very quickly at the time of dialing. The receiver for the low frequency uses the loop antenna in the bottom of the radio, a thyratron tube to key a step transfer relay and a two phase motor to turn the appropriate mechanism.

The receiver and the transmitter have to be on the same frequency and are identified by a number, FWIR there are just a few frequencies. I also believe the Mystery box frequency or the radio can be tuned to match if they don't already.

Most problems are dried out bipolar AC cap at the motor as well as the usually paper caps in the low frequency receiver. I think the range is about 30ft and one wall in between...

There are ample documents online for this feature so it is no "Mystery" at all...

Be aware the dial and its escutcheon are made of Tenite and may be irreparable warped.

Get it working, impress your friends and neighbors, old cool stuff!

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Me? No as I dont love the style but I did drive 6 hours once for a piece of crap grandfather clock radio. Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

You should be aware that is a 39-55RX, not a 39-116RX. Notice it is AM only. It's just a basic AM radio with the added novelty of wireless remote control. To me it wouldn't be worth the effort to drive 5 minutes both ways to get it for $5, but then again I really don't care for those sets. We all like different stuff, that's what makes this hobby so neat and interesting - there are different radios to suit everyone's likes. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

At least it's not in Diamond Oregon.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Thanks all. Maybe if the seller is coming to where I live to visit his daughter (the same town). But, I won't go out of my way. Thanks again!