Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help with Philco HR-1 Beam of Light Record Cutter

I am restoring a Philco Beam of Light phonograph with an HR-1 record cutter/recorder. It's the Model 41-608 radio/phono.

Aside from working to get the changer to work correctly, I need to know the following:

1. Where do you connect a microphone? Nothing I can find specifically shows me where to connect it. It think it connects to the extra terminal on the black external transformer (see photo).

2. What type of record blanks should I use to make recordings? Are PVC or polycarbonate okay? Also, I learned that the old blanks had a hole that engaged with the tab on the platter to keep the blank from slipping as it was being cut. I guess I could drill a hole in each blank to get such a hole. I don't want to buy NOS blanks if possible.

Gib at WestTech has rebuilt the pickup and cutter cartridges, so they should work.

Can anyone who has experience with this unit help me with the microphone hookup and a source for record blanks that will work with this cutter?

Thanks!

Blanks  do show up on eBay every so often 

Sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Are you sure a mic gets attached there?   Offhand, that looks like a bayonet lamp socket to me,...perhaps for the #47 lamp.

I've been cautioned about using old blanks because the material can become brittle and not record correctly or not last. I'm trying to find something new that will work well.

No, I am not sure the mic attaches there. As indicated by the question mark on the photo, I'm not sure where the mic attaches, hence this post to find out from someone who knows. 

The bayonet mount is too small for a #47 bulb (I already tried that). None of the material on the HR-1 or the Beam of Light I have found indicates what attaches there.

Scott
Mic does go their

Attached Files Image(s)

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Sam- You are a savior! Thanks so much!

Now, I'm hoping for an answer to my other question: What types of record blanks will work with the HR-1? I don't want to use NOS ones because I've been cautioned about them plus they are kind of expensive. There are less expensive new record blanks made of PVC and polycarbonate. Would those work?

Scott 
Don’t think  I have heard any one trying to record on one 
Trial and error I guess

Sam

mafiamen2

The newer posts recently added to this thread may now be found here:
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=24610