Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My 1942 Philco 42-380X Radio project

I am sorry that i posted here. I thought that some originality would have been appreciated here. I guess not.

I wanted my personality + the radio as the memento. not some old radio that i would never use and thought that the original finish was ugly.

the screen was 149.99$ shipped to my door. i could not get half of the radio restored or parts for it for that cost. you are crazy and wrong.

You guys should really open up your minds and get creative. Originally should be appreciated instead of semi-flamed.

So...what did you do with the original 42-380 chassis and speaker Icon_confused:

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

You could have restored the original electronics of that radio for less then the cost of that flat screen and the other computer parts, and the set would have been worth more monetarily and historically. If you wanted a memento to your grandparents why deface a perfectly good radio by fitting a PC inside it's cabinet that will be worthless junk in under five years? I can only hope that the cabinet hasn't been hacked up or so full of holes that if you can put it back the way it was someday, assuming of course that you didn't toss out the original parts already.

Arran Wrote:You could have restored the original electronics of that radio for less then the cost of that flat screen and the other computer parts, and the set would have been worth more monetarily and historically. If you wanted a memento to your grandparents why deface a perfectly good radio by fitting a PC inside it's cabinet that will be worthless junk in under five years? I can only hope that the cabinet hasn't been hacked up or so full of holes that if you can put it back the way it was someday, assuming of course that you didn't toss out the original parts already.

and if you actually read my post and the other site's listing, you would see that i already owned the computer. try reading before answering noob. And yes there were a few holes drilled into this radio so that things could be mounted. my children will appreciate a computer, not some crappy old AM radio that some day soon wont even work.

All right, let's calm down and think rationally...

Cerver, you obviously went to a lot of trouble to convert your grandparents' 42-380 into a computer. And I am sure you are proud of your accomplishment. After all, it is yours and you certainly have the right to do with it what you will.

But to call Arran a "noob" because he feels you should have preserved the radio is way out of line, pal.

Arran happens to be a very knowledgeable vintage radio collector and is hardly a "noob."

This is a vintage radio forum, not a computer forum. Please try to keep this in mind. Thank you.

P.S. So what did you do with that "crappy old AM radio" chassis and speaker? I hope you did not just throw it away. Someone could have used it for parts...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Cerver, I just noticed your edit to your original post.

(sound of gavel hitting desk) That's it. You're outta here, pal. Take a walk...

Thread locked. That's all, folks.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN