Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A 70 cabinet with a 20 chassis and dual 71A's?

So I bought a phonograph yesterday and he had this there too. He said it was a 70 and it was all restored electronically. For $75.00 restored I took it since I dont actually own a 70. I ended up with a 70 cabinet, a 20 chassis, and dual 71A's?

Is this a 21?

Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

It's 21. You lucky bastard you.

And it is not a 70 cabinet, as it has holes same as 21, that is 3 and not 4.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Another difference between the 20/21 and the 70 is the base of the cabinet. The baseboard on the 20/21 has three holes to secure the chassis and the 70 have four. Methinks Mike is referring to the knobs.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Cool...
The cabinet has a few issues on the arch but it is a good looking radio from the front.

Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021

It could be an early production 21 which still used the 20 chassis until Philco switched to the 21 chassis with dual 45 outputs.

HOWEVER

The knobs are not correct - early production 21 sets witrh 20 chassis still used 20 knobs. Later production 21 sets used rosettes, but a medium rosette for tuning and two small rosettes for off-on and volume. This one has a large rosette knob and two medium rosettes.

Pull the tuning knob off. If the front panel has a large hole (made for a 20 style tuning knob), then it is an early production 20. If it has a small hole, it is a later 21 cabinet into which someone has stuck a 20 chassis.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well,
It is a large hole... The guy I bought it from put the knobs on. I'll throw on some 20 knobs.. Icon_smile
Kirk Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021

It's a shame the grill cloth has that one hole in it. It is in great shape otherwise and seems original.
It almost merits trying to patch it rather than replace altogether.
A patch cut from some unusable piece of original cloth which could be found would do the job.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ok so the early 21 had 20 knobs.. Which set?

Icon_smile

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

The photo on the left is correct.

The photo on the right is an (incorrect) mix of a Model 20 tuning knob with later small rosette knobs.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you!!

Icon_smile

As of 1/01/2021