Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-350

I'm new at radio restoration but am diligently studying repair books every evening.  My candohm in this 46-350 appears to be bad.  I'm somewhat unsure of the new attaching points for replacement resistors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are two ways to approach this. First is to measure each section of the candohm in question to find the bad section or sections. Solder a resistor of the same resistance and sufficient wattage across each of the the bad sections. The other is to remove the old candohm entirely and put a long terminal strip in the same location, then put suitable resistors across sections of the terminal strip, connect the wires where they go, and solder everything in place. The latter is often preferable when dealing with a canohm where one section is bad, since another section may go bad soon. The first method works OK when all sections of the candohm are bad and you can use the old candohm itself as the terminal strip. I have used both methods.

A very clear, logical explanation. Thank you for this excellent advice!

I've been replacing candohm resistors in place, by soldering short terminal strips to the existing candohm case and then mounting resistors to the strips.  I don't solder replacement resistors across the open sections, because it can be a noise source in the radio that can be REALLY hard to find.  If I have one open section in the candohm, the whole thing gets replaced, not just the bad section.  Slide the mounting foot of the terminal strip under the candohm case (between the candohm and the radio chassis), solder the terminal strip lug to the steel candohm case and move your wires to the terminal strips.  A little math with Ohm's law will give you a ballpark figure on wattage, but usually in a 6 to 10 tube set, you can put in 20 watt resistors and be golden.  That, of course, depends on the design of the set and the voltage being dropped across the sections and what they are feeding.  If I have a large high wattage candohm to replace, like in a GE E-155, I will buy 50 and 25 watt aluminum case power resistors, mount them on an aluminum bar, and mount that in the chassis in place of the candohm.  Then you can solder the chassis wires to the resistor junctions directly.

Kim Herron W8ZV
w8zv at goldenradioservice.com
1-616-677-3706

Thank you kindly for this great advice!

Once again, calling on members' vast experience:  there appears to be a small wire wound resistor, sheathed in a heat resistant cloth tube, which bridges the "A" and the "B" tabs on the R100 candohm. I am unable to identify it or it's value.  Would appreciate all help when convenient.

Hello, Looking at the schematic go down to changes near bottom. Check out run #4 if you have that one it mentions a fiberglass covered type resistor of 60 ohms that was added. Might be what you are seeing.
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...6-1947.pdf

Thank you! I will check that out.

When was that 60 ohms resistor added btw?