Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Static

Just finished recapping 38-12 and started it. No hum but static noise even when tuned in to strong station. Any help to direct me to the problem would be great!

First thing I'd check is all solder joints., not just the ones I did, but ALL of them. Also, check the tuning condenser, if it is dusty or dirty, that can be a cause of static. I clean between the plates using Dills pipe cleaners and rubbing alcohol. A dirty volume control could also be a cause of the problem. DeOxit red can be used to clean the resistance and wiper in the pot. Follow that with DeOxit gold lube and protestant if you like. Since you don't seem to have a band switch with that model, you won't have those contacts to clean, but DeOxit is used for that too.

Awesome, thanks...off work tomorrow so will attack those items

Well I checked everything and cleaned up the tuning capacitor and I haven't found anything out of place. I do see some resistor that look problematic and will attack those next. I posted a separate thread with questions on proper replacement of the resistors,.  . .(wattage, exact or near exact ratings etc. . .) before I start clipping away.