Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 112 Highboy

First post. My son came by a couple of weeks ago with this old radio someone had left sitting at there curb for free pickup. After some research I believe it is a Philco 112 Highboy early model. I have previously restored three radios. Nothing this old. And the other three all had good cabinets. This one looks solid with no big chips or such but has been painted white. Only thing I see missing is the knobs.
The chassis seems complete. The tuning condensers turn smoothly, but need new cord. The power cord and speaker wire are bare, cloth covered. The speaker looks in one piece however I hesitate to touch. The grill cloth looks good and original.
The big black box on the front right of the chassis is leaking oil. I believe this is capacitor filled, I believe six. Of course I will replace all capacitors. I have concern about the transformers. If they are bad finding a replacement. The main power transformer has 4 outputs.
Anyway, being s novice I am going to take my time and try to understand some of the strange components I don't see in 40's and 50's radios. I will have questions and will post in the appropriate forum. I am excited as well as apprehensive tackling such a big project.
Rich

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome, here is a link to the schematic and other data.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...040164.pdf
Good luck with the restoration.

112 is same sch as 111 with cap filter arranged differently.

Mine had the speaker with the transformer shot , also the interstage transformer shot.
Be careful with volume pot. Don't wipe insides with alcohol.
Otherwise an easy radio to work with, though the chassis is heavy.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

"Be careful with volume pot. Don't wipe insides with alcohol." Oh how I miss carbon tetrachloride ! It was what we used to use to clean pots. D**n eco freaks killed that. What little we used could not have been much of a cause of the "hole in the ozone."

I recently redid a 112x. Good sounding radio. Very similar. Looks like you're missing the tube shield. It's kind of important. Keep an eye out on Ebay for one that fits.

Welcome to the Phorum!

Thanks for the post. Didn't realize there was a missing tube shield. But I found a picture on another forum showing what the shield looks like from the back. I can see the shield covers the back and top but no view of other angles. I assume it cover the sides but is open on the front or the tubes would over heat if fully enclosed. Will keep an eye open on ebay.
Rich

Hi Rich,

You might also have a look at these posts in the downloads section that show the 112 tube shield and labels:

https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=17974
https://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=6987

Best of luck with your 112!