Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116

The 38-116 now has a refinished sibling.  I bought the 37-116 cabinet several months ago, then later purchased a chassis.  The 37-116 has now been refinished.  Once I get the tuner rebuilt,  I'll have to put it or its twin, which has its original finish, up for sale someday.

The no squat cabinet certainly added a bit of girth over its older sibling.

The cabinets look nice. Did you refinish them?

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

The last pic is original finish which is quite decent. The empty cabinets I refinished using Mohawk products. I'm mixing my own toner as I can't seem to control the rattle cans. I have not rubbed them out, I've never done that. The finish coat of lacquer lays pretty good and looks good without or with very little grain showing through. Once they cure for a month, I'll try the rubbing out process with polishing compound. I may try that on my 41-295 first as that has cured long enough. I just don't want to mess it up!

i bought some speaker fabric on ebay from seller richmonddesignsinc  or you can search for Antique Radio Speaker/Grille Cloth .
I have some leftover. Large Herringbone if anybody could use some.
i'm not sure why my picture is sideways. the radio is a Belmont [BRC] 585.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow ! Vary pretty Fenbach, nice job.

I've got some small herringbone coming from Richmond for the 37-116. This radio takes a wider piece than the 18" he normally sells, but he was willing to cut me a wide piece to fit the radio. The difficult part is that the small side grilles also had the V of the chevron in the center of the grill. Not sure as yet how I'm going to do that. I may have to glue small pieces of fabric to the back side of the side grilles. or, glue it over top of the big piece of grille cloth. Or, forget about trying to get the V of the chevron in the center of the small grills and take it as it comes.

That is what I have always done - 3 pieces.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Thanks Russ! Probably what I'll do.