Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Philco console....I needed one!

There was a very nice Philco console advertised in Craigslist, and not far away from here. It looked like a creampuff, so I went to see it.

It turned out to be a model 18X, from 1935, and beautifully preserved. Dang, it's pretty! Never molested, and the guy had it working, though I'd just as soon he hadn't it turned on. Now, I have to photograph it, and figure out how to get the picture here. Other than the usual top finish imperfection, it's in just about showroom condition.

The design of these sets is a handsome blend of traditional design, with clues from art deco. It's both, but not wholly one or the other.

I needed another console!!

Sounds like a great find, Doug! those are great looking sets. Please post a pic when you get a chance.

Joe

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Hi Doug

I know what you mean. A local collector has been trying to talk me into a 1935 Philco 118H for a year or so now. I finally gave in and told him I'd take it.

The 118H is not as nice a cabinet as your 18X, but it is somewhat unique; it must be one of the last six-legged consoles (with a stretcher base, no less!) that Philco ever made. The styling is sort of a cross between late 1920s and mid 1930s styles - sort of a blend of contrasts, if you will.

I haven't picked it up yet - it will require a trip back to Evansville. Barry Jones has refinished the cabinet, so it is sure to look good. The chassis is unrestored.

I have no idea where I am going to put it here Icon_confused:

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Put it under a nice high tube count tombstone!
8)

RON: Ya know, I just wonder now, if the one I have might be an "H" suffix. It's 6 legger.

Well, Doug, the one I am getting looks like this - this is not the set I am getting, but a representative photo from my website's Gallery:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/images/1935/118h.jpg]

I really like the 118X, 118MX and 118D (six-legger with double doors) better, but in this case, the price is right (free, in exchange for fixing two All American Fiver sets).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow, that one is downright snazzy. I like it!

I picked up my 118H today. Photos to follow later.

Barry Jones did his usual good work on the cabinet. It's really a beauty, and I'm glad I decided to go for it. The chassis will need complete electronic restoration, however.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The 188 H was th first console I bought got it for $45 in decent shape ...of course 11 more consoles have snuck in the house since then. (sigh)

Back for a quick one. Mine looks like the one that Ron shows, but mine has a flat front panel, and not the angled side "wings". It's in that nice a shape, though.

My big problem now, is getting the files from the camera into the hard drive of this computer. I have a Pinnacle input program, but I haven't figured out how to get the stuff from camera to disc. It just doesn't seem to want to do what I want.

I've been using a Sony video camera, with single shot option. I can input it directly to my DVD recorder, and have a movie directly. I could conceivably input still shots onto a DVD as well. That would surely work, but it's a funny use for a DVD.

I'm not gonna give up!

codefox1 Wrote:Wow, that one is downright snazzy. I like it!

Exceptional. Icon_eek

Mike