Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 650. My first restoration and could use some help

I picked up two radios for $20 today.  A Philco 650 and a Kennedy.  I'm not sure where to begin with the veneer on the 650.  It's completely split on the corners.  The rest of the cabinet doesn't seem too bad.  Is there anyway to patch the corners or is it more of a complete rewrap situation?  This is my first restoration like this so any help would be great.  Also, if anyone knows any info on the Kennedy I would love to know it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

I think those corners on the Philco are beyond repair unless the repair you are considering is to completely re-veneer the set.  There are some threads on the phorum where folks have talked about repairs of corners like those which were only just starting to crack.  Its possible with varying degrees of success and cosmetic appearance but yours are beyond that.  Folks on here have put on new veneer and you are likely to get some advice from those who have done so.

Yeah I was thinking redoing the whole veneer would be the easiest route.  I've never worked with it so I thought I'd get some advice first

Welcome to the Phabulous Philco Phorum!   Icon_smile 

You're ambitious taking on that cabinet.  Let us know your progress. Inquiring minds want to know.

haha thanks.  Yeah I picked a good one to start with.  I may actually start with the Kennedy since it only needs veneer on the top and a small patch before I start on the Philco.  I haven't even started to think about the actual radio components yet

Hi and welcome to the Phorum,
On the Philco to be more precise it's a 37-650X which a bit of a different animal than the 1936 model 650X. Both are good sets but the 37 model is more challenging to service. I would give the chassis the evil eye go over it and check the major parts for failures. I think Ron mentioned that the 37-650 has a propensity for the band switch to arc and burn. Not good. It would be a shame to spend a lot of time, energy, and money to find that you need find a parts set to complete your project.
https://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1937a/#Model_37-650X

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

If I can't get the electronics to work my plan is to use an arduino chip and small amp so that it can essentially be a giant bluetooth speaker.  Not sure if stuff like that is frowned upon early or not

>Not sure if stuff like that is frowned upon early or not
Generally it is.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I figured it might be.  I still want to get the original radio working.  I'd add the modern electronics as well but in a way that it wouldn't ruin it's original integrity and could be removed