Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

General Electric 202 revived.

So it really only juices up signal going to output? Not really making it more sensitive? Paul

Tubetalk1

It's still a solid little radio from GE and as far as I can tell, is at least a little more sensitive than my comparable five tube radios from the same time period. I get it about the styling as it is different. I wasn't really into this model either until someone here mentioned that they are good performers. Usually these are beat up or high priced around my area, but this one was a bargain flea market find this past summer. Icon_wink

No matter where you go, there you are.

Just a guess on my part, but I'd guess that while the set is more sensitive than an AA5, it likely is not more selective. Have a look at the 1950 Philco model 50-921, for a very good sounding, super sensitive and selective bakelite table model that has tuned a RF and a tuned mixer for two tuned RF stages versus one stage in most sets. It probably won't be cheap either, but I have owned one and used it, and they are very good performers in a package about the same size as the G.E.

want a sensitive and selective set then look for a howard a300 .

I am sure that GE 202 is a very nice sounding and sensitive set. I just found it odd that they'd add the extra tuned stage up front and not tune a stage that was already there.

John that Philco sounds like a nice set to have around i will keep my eye open.