Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis

Since the replacement is a "universal" audio output transformer, the DC resistance of your new one won't be the same as the old one.

Don't worry about that. The main thing is to make sure it is hooked up correctly.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote:The main thing is to make sure it is hooked up correctly.

I certainly hope so, this is what I did.... See pictures.

I made the Blue lead White, I made the Red Lead Black & White, and I made the Brown Lead Black

jjbuzard Wrote:I made the Blue lead White, I made the Red Lead Black & White, and I made the Brown Lead Black

Perfect.

Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Today I am installing the new transformer, will duplicate what I see on schematic to new transformer schematic, see attached drawing.

[attachment=0]

Icon_arrow When I go to power up for the first time how should I proceed to keep from frying something if I have a bad connection Icon_confused:

You have the new transformer hooked up correctly, according to your diagram.

When you first power the set up: Remove all tubes but make sure the dial lamps are in place (and have been replaced). Disconnect the speaker.

Plug it in and turn it on.

The dial lamps should light up brightly. Nothing else should happen. If any unusual sounds are noted, turn it off and unplug immediately!

Now put in all of the tubes except the 84 tube. Leave the speaker disconnected.

Plug it in and turn it on again.

The dial lamps should light up, and you should see the filaments of the tubes slowly come on. The radio should make no sounds at all.

Turn it off and unplug it.

Now, insert the 84 tube into its socket, and plug in the speaker.

Plug the radio in, and turn it on. You may or may not hear some static after about 30 seconds. Listen carefully for any odd noises.

If all is well after a few minutes, then turn it off, connect the loop antenna, turn it on again and see if you can pick up anything.

It would actually be better if you could slowly power it up using a Variac. But since I am sure you do not have one...the test as described above will have to suffice.

Final note: You did replace that 160 volt capacitor that blew out with a new 450 volt unit, correct?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote:Final note: You did replace that 160 volt capacitor that blew out with a new 450 volt unit, correct?

Yes I replaced that Capacitor, will print and follow your instruction to the letter.

Wish me LUCK Icon_exclaim

Ron,

I followed your instructions to the letter, step by step, each stage a progression.

Final step............SUCCESS Icon_exclaim Icon_biggrin Icon_exclaim

It has been playing for an hour now, the main transformer is about body temp, the sound is great, better than before I fried the transformer. The 2 and 4 secondary hook up on the Audio Output Coil must be the right one, I don't know how it could sound better.

It continues to amaze me that one speaker can have so much range, after all this speaker is 68 years old (5 years older than I am)

Now I need to enjoy it and then work on acouple of other items on it. But that can wait for a day or so.

I find it hard to believe I did this Icon_exclaim I was so frustrated at first, but with everyones help I got through it and now have a great radio.

Just in time for Christmas Music Icon_biggrin

I've got acouple of other things I want to do so I will be asking more questions. But for now I am going to take a rest.

THANKS Icon_exclaim Icon_exclaim Icon_exclaim Icon_exclaim

Congratulations!

Sit back, be proud of your accomplishment. Then head over to Old Ron's Bar & Grill and have a virtual drink on the house! Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Two questions........

First: I don't get anything on the Short Wave band, before I fried this set I got several spots of foriegn chatter, now silence Icon_confused: Did I mess up the band selector switch Icon_confused:

Second: What is this part (see picture) and where does it go Icon_confused: The first time I removed the chassis it fell out Icon_confused

Jim, sorry, I haven't forgotten about you; I've just been busy.

First - you should make sure all your connections were made properly, and that there are no wires touching each other where they should not be in the vicinity of the band switch.

For what it's worth, I just redid a 40-201, and it also is silent on the police and SW bands. Don't know why. But AM comes through loud and clear. Of course, this one was not working at all before I started restoring it; it had been sitting for years (decades?).

Second - I have no idea what that part might be Icon_confused:

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The Police and SW bands are working now, Mostly Oriental stations and some that sound like Spanish but not quite, I had Bejing International English channel the day before Christmas, and get acouple of religious stations from parts unknown on Police Band. Icon_confused

The metal part is a strengthing rib for the plastic bezal plate, goes inside above the push buttons in a groove. Icon_biggrin

Really need to figure out how to do an external antenna to pick up more A.M. stations. Icon_confused

Thanks for your reply, everyone is busy this time of year, Family first ya know Icon_exclaim

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Okay, now we're getting somewhere. You say you replaced the input filter capacitor (62), Philco part number 30-2474, with a 10 uF, 160 volt unit. Big mistake! 160 volts is much too low a voltage rating for this capacitor! According to the schematic, 265 volts is being applied across this capacitor when in operation. And, keep in mind that those voltages were measured with 1941 or older vintage test equipment which is not as accurate as today's high impedance multimeters; so that 265 volts is probably more like 280 or 290, given today's more sensitive meters and higher line voltages.

I would bet that this capacitor shorted since it was only rated at 160 volts, and the short took out the power transformer since this is the input filter.

Replace it with a new electrolytic rated at 10 uF, 450 volts.

It will not matter if you replaced electrolytic (27) with 22 uF, although 10 uF would have been a better choice. Replacing the 16 uF (27A) with a 22 uF was the right thing to do. You say the new ones were rated at 450 volts, so all should be OK there.

I have a 41-285 that I'm going to restore. I've been scouring this forum and without it I don't believe I would or will be successful. Anyways my question is I was looking at the schematic for the radio and it says that capacitor (62) was 12 uF. I thought I read that you should go up and not down in ratings. Should I get a 10 uF or would the 22 uF be better as Ron suggested the 10?

I just want to get this right as I have only begun this journey.

Dan

Think big! Go up in value. 22ufd is fine.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry