Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not sure where to start

First, I don’t know which model this is, but either way: Should I scrape off the old veneer that’s badly cracked or attempt to save. Keep in mind, I’ve never restored a piece of furniture before.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

First, let's start with a picture of the set you have so we can help identify it and assess the state its in.
Pictures "how to" is at this LINK.

Restoring cabinets is a skill and like anything it takes some time to learn the techniques. Sometimes some patching can be done and other times completely redoing the veneer is needed. The picture will help people offer you better suggestions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185880238@...res/1VN1Q2

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185880238@...res/2xE006

https://www.flickr.com/photos/185880238@...res/YM2230

I'm not certain but your set might be a 60L.  The escutcheon is different than the gallery picture but the 60 series went through a long evolution as seen here in the 1935 (July 1934) and 1936 (June 1935) table models.  Those escutcheon and knobs seem to match your set.

As for the veneer, yes the veneer on the right side panel would need to come off and be replaced.  I'm not the guy to tell you how to do that as I've never done it.  I've only patched small sections.  Read through some of the cabinet restoration threads in the Phorum and you'll get an idea of what the effort will be and some of the techniques people use to strip, tone and lacquer the sets.  Here's just one place to start...Ron's 2018 cabinet work thread.  Here's another by Fred.... and a couple more LINK 1 and LINK2. There are many others that would be good to review I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Thanks!! I had a hard time pinning down the exact model. Like you, I found some very similar but the three knob instead of two knob kept throwing me off. I’m going to assume this is not the original cloth either.

Also, what can I do about the panel popping up on the top? Wood glue it down maybe?

You are correct, the cloth is not original.  Reproduction grill cloths are getting more difficult to find. Radiodaze is selling off their inventories.  Richmond Designs has some excellent cloth and there are a few others you can find on ebay.

The top veneer could be glued back down if it is in decent shape other than separating from the base wood.  I use Elmers wood glue, syringes and long spatulas to work glue in under areas like that.  Then a good even clamping or heavy pressure over the entire area is needed. Its not a flat top veneer like yours but some discussion of Elmers on a 39-30 I worked on is found in this thread.

Is there something special about the original cloth, as in sound differences? I think I’ll keep the cloth I have simply because it’s the one that was there all through my childhood.

Pattern and color are what most folks try to match with the original cloths during restorations. Thick cloth can tend to muffle the sound but most of these sets are not exactly high fidelity. If that cloth has memories for you then by all means keep it.