Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just picked up a 1936 Philco 116B Tombstone Radio Today and need some info on it

I had sent Mark Oppat a message concerning my power switch for my radio about 3 weeks and I still haven't heard back from him yet, so I don't know what's going on with that, so I still need a new power switch for my radio, I also still need 3 correct tube shields for my radio, and I still need that retaining clip for the tuning knob assembly as I have for sure lost mine and can't find it anywhere in my workshop. 

So right now my radio is at a stand still until I get these aforementioned parts. 

Is there anyone on here that has a junk 116 chassis that they can get me parts from that I can use on my radio? If so I would be willing to pay whatever you think the parts are worth (to a limit, I obviously can't pay hundreds of dollars for the parts because its not in my budget as previously stated, but I can pay shipping costs for the parts).

Also it seems that its not just my Philco radio that has that funky interference on the police and shortwave bands its also on my mint condition Zenith 10S690 that has that funky interference noise that sounds like a harmonic pulse beat, that sounds at a pretty regular interval (I had posted a youtube video of the interference on a previous post in this thread). 

So obviously there must be something either in my house that's causing that interference or something outside of my house causing this interference issue, (and it must be something that started within the past couple of years, because when I first moved into this house in 2012 clear up until just recently I never had any issues with receiving shortwave signals in my house, most of the time I could receive shortwave signals loud and clear without any interference, my first antique shortwave radio I worked on, a Sparton 6-66A from 1948 never had issues with shortwave reception when I first got it in 2013 and it was just within the past couple of years that I started getting that strange interference on the shortwave band).

The only thing I can think of that could be causing this interference that has changed in the past couple of years in my house was the internet router through Xfinity (Comcast). 
The internet router is one of those dual band 802.11x wireless routers that also has range extending capabilities as well, which maybe what's causing the shortwave interference but I doubt it seeing as the frequencies that the wireless router runs at is 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (which I would of thought would of been well outside of the shortwave operating frequencies of 5 MHz to 22 MHz, the only other thing I can think of would be that the router's interference is operating at a higher harmonic of the shortwave frequencies which is why the interference sounds the way it does.

This is why I don't use wireless, but instead have my modem connected to an old fashioned, hard wired ethernet router. Yeah, I have had to run ethernet cables to my computers, and even have to use one if a guest has a laptop, for which I have an extra one they can tie into my router with. It made for some extra work, but at least it doesn't add to my already bad hash problems from the 250,000 volt TVA power lines that run over my pasture not 150 feet from my house. It is also more private and secure.

Captain, have you tried unplugging your router and modem temporarily to see if the interference is eliminated? Also, flat screen TVs and even some battery chargers can be suspect!

Ron

Bendix 0626.      RCA 8BX5.   RCA T64
Philco 41-250.    Philco49-500
GE 201.             Philco 39-25
Motorola 61X13. Philco 46-42        Crosley 52TQ
Philco 37-116.    Philco 70
AK 35                Philco 46-350
Philco 620B.       Zenith Transoceanic B-600
Philco 60B.         Majestic 50
Philco 52-944.    AK 84

The wireless router I had killed shortwave from about 3 MHz to 6 Mhz. I have since changed it out and that interference is now gone. Our flat screen TV causes a lot of noise that is across all bands and the new washer we got can be heard on all bands as well. I have a nice outside long wire antenna and a real good earth ground and that helps with some of the noise.

Gregb

I figured out what was causing that annoying interference, I had a set of plug-in ethernet jacks that make it so you can get internet to parts of your house where internet isn't accessible, and those plug-in Ethernet extenders were what was responsible for the interference, so I unplugged them and now my SW Bands and Police Bands are coming in clearly now.