Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

veneer hole repair

I filled a drill hole in the veneer of a cabinet with ordinary wood putty. but can't seem to match the golden oak color with stain or touch up markers.
anyone have a tip on matching the color? or a recommended filler? small tho the hole is, it certainly draws your attention Icon_sad my attempts at searching the phorum were unsuccessful.
thanks as always.

I will sometimes (seldom) tint wood putty, but you will be better off starting with a "walnut", mahogany" or cherry" colored putty which is available at the hardware store.

A small brush can be used with some VD Brown toner - or just brown lacquer - to add a little grain to help blend. This should work for a SMALL hole.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

You can dilute nail polish with lacquer thinner and use a small tip artist's brush to apply. Once dry it will take lacquer spray over top without spoiling.

How big of a hole are we talking about? Are you refinishing the cabinet or is the finish in good shape.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Just 1/16”. I (embarrassingly) went through from inside with a drill bit. By and large the finish is in good shape.  I’ll try tinted putty covered with diluted nail polish or a spray finish. And report back.  The wood itself doesn't absorb the various stains and marker ink I've tried.  They just wipe right off.    Thanks for the suggestions.
the picture shows my unsuccessful attempt so far to match the original finish.    

I decided after all to make a square hole, thinking that would be less obvious.  then cut a small thin square of wood to glue into the recess.
it does look better if not quite professional.  the first pic shows the patch beside the square hole, the second the "repair," such as it is. I went over the case with fine steel wool that I dipped in Howard Restore-a-Finish, the put on a coat of no-buff floor wax.
of course, my biggest take-away is to not drill thru the veneer in the first place!

While some of our sets may be restored and museum quality, many are not but are very presentable. These things are survivors and many bear a few marks from wear, accident, or whatever. When I was new I had fewer cosmetic and chassis defects! Your patch is fine by me, and when casually looked at is probably not going to be noticed.

Paul

Tubetalk1

" When I was new I had fewer cosmetic and chassis defects!"   Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Your Mom wouldn't have had it any other way Paul !

My personal opinion: A little too dark looks a lot better than a little too light.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/