Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1929 Philco model 87 lowboy cabinet questions

Good morning! ☺
My name is Ken, and I would first like to say thank you for allowing me access to this awesome community!
I recently purchased a 1929 Philco model 87 lowboy for $25.00. The woodwork appears to be in excellent shape, no major scratches, dings, or stains, with the exception of the speaker grille scrollwork. The man I purchased it from said his dog jumped on him, knocking his chair back, and into the grille. All scratches and dings are only finish deep. The finish has it's normal wear, dirty, darkened, worn, etc.
The speaker and electronics are another story.
My plan is to re-finish the cabinet first as close to original as possible. Then I will try to tackle the inner workings. I will try to post pictures, as soon as I figure out how. ☺
I have a few questions, and I'm sure I will have many more in the future. Here goes.....
1.) Is the original finish lacquer?
2.) What kind of wood is the speaker grille scrollwork? The grain almost looks like quarter sawn oak to me.
3.) Would the brass dial bezel have originally been polished, or patina?
Sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance for your help!
Ken ☺

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

The finish is indeed lacquer.
The brass bezel would not be polished.
Not sure about he wood on the grill but it will be colored with lacquer toner so may not be too critical.

Should be fun. Post some pics.

This cabinet?

1. Yes

2. I believe, mahogany, surrounded by bird's eye maple

3. Clean, but don't polish the brass.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Klondike98, 
Thanks for the welcome, and thank you for your helpful reply. Much appreciated! ☺

Phlogiston,
Yes that is the cabinet. My hope is that mine will look as nice one day. Going to take my time, and try to do this right. Always wanted one of these, so It will be a labor of love. Thank you for your very helpful reply! ☺

Hi Ken and welcome to the fray,
I've got a couple of those cabinets a Neutrodyne Plus (87) and a 95. I done think I've ever seen one of those grilles that isn't missing veneer or broken. I'm more of a chassis guy. On the 87 the worst of it is rebuilding the filter bank. It's not awful but kinda messy.

GL.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Hi everyone, It's been a while. ?
I'm currently working on replacing the broken "fretwork" speaker grille. There was enough left of the old grille to trace half of it onto poster board. I folded the pattern in half and cut it out with a razor. I dry fitted into the cabinet, and found the original grille was not symmetrical. The design really did not match the scalloped opening, and the reveal was off in spots.
I started over by making a pattern of the scalloped opening, and tracing the symmetrical pattern onto a new pattern, then made some adjustments to the reveal. I think I'm pretty close now, and ready to transfer onto my walnut plywood. Off to the scroll saw next. I think my radio may have been assembled on a monday. The bottom trim doesn't line up either. ?

Attached Files Image(s)

New pattern

Attached Files Image(s)

New pattern in pattern of opening...

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice work, the folks at Shell World in Key Largo would be proud.

That looks good, and, probably makes this irrelevant at this time, but, some of those cabinets were sold without the scallop, jjust grill cloth.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

That's right - later versions did not have the scallop cut-out insert. Only early versions of that cabinet had the scallop cut-out insert. Most likely, Philco bean counters decided it was an unnecessary expense, and the cut-out insert was dropped.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you for your responses, compliments, and info! I was aware the later versions were made without the grille insert. I like the way it looks and I'm up for the challenge. Never tried using a scroll saw before, so we'll see how it goes.
Anyone ever seen such a mis-aligned molding at the bottom of the speaker opening? It's actually the "bird's eye" center panel that was installed crooked.

Attached Files Image(s)

I might be wrong but I don't think they built these things using micrometers...
My 87 is pretty good the front panel is slightly off center but you really have to stair at it to notice it.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry, lol.
Looks like they didn't use tape measures, or eyeballs the day mine was being built. My center panel is off by a good quarter of an inch at the bottom. The knob shafts are touching the holes in the panel as well
No big deal, was just curious if this was a common thing. I'm still ecstatic to finally have one of these, and I still think it is still a beautiful work of art!
Easy enough to fix (I think). Looks like the center panel is held in by screws. I'll just have to be very careful removing the glue blocks, and any laquer residue on the face where the pieces meet and might be stuck together. Thanks again!