Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1931 Westinghouse WR-10 Tombstone Radio

Hello Everone, recently I was given a 1931 Westinghouse Model WR-10 Tombstone Radio which when I first got it that cabinet was shot but the guts were still good on it (the radio was found in an old abandoned farmhouse that the roof had collapsed on it 20 years ago and the radio had sat in that house all that time which is why the cabinet was basically rotted to the point that it was falling apart).

Anyways I had bought a new cabinet for it on ebay for $30 plus shipping and cleaned up the chassis and replaced some a couple of bad paper caps in the chassis and the original cloth cord as the cord had a break in it somewhere that caused it to not power on when it was plugged in with a brand new cloth cord (basically a modern rubber cord with a cloth sheathing around it), and plugged it in a turned it on, and sure enough the radio worked like brand new still even with its original dry electrolytic filter capacitors intact, and the radio is super sensitive, as I was able to some major DX'ing on it at night where I was picking up stations from all over the country including an oldies station from Ontario, Canada, and all I was using was a 30' length of zip-cord for the antenna that was stretched out across my basement and clear upto the kitchen upstairs.

I have some pictures of the unit in question posted below.

Sorry about the poor lighting in the pictures, my basement isn't very well lit.

Attached Files Image(s)