Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1932 U. S. Gloritone Model 99A Cathedral Radio

Hello everyone, about 5 years ago I was given a 1932 U. S. Gloritone Model 99A Cathedral Radio that someone had restored electrically but then somehow destroyed the original Utah speaker and the original grille cloth by what appeared to of been grabbing the radio by the front of the cabinet and then having it slip out of their hands and their fingers went right through the speaker and grille cloth and absolutely destroyed it, plus the original finish on the cabinet was completely shot on it. 

So over the course of about 5 years (yes it took me 5 years to finish restoring this radio) I repaired the tears in the original Utah speaker by using brown coffee filter paper and watered down Elmer's Glue and then I completely stripped the old finish off the cabinet of the radio and refinished with a couple of coats of Minwax #224 Special Walnut Stain followed up by 2 coats of Polyurathane with some light sanding with 220 grit sandpaper in between coats.

I think the finished product turned out pretty good for being my very first radio cabinet refinishing project.

Before and after pictures posted below.

Attached Files Image(s)

More pics.

The first two pics are the before shots of the radio and the rest of the pictures are the after shots.

Attached Files Image(s)

Pretty grill.
Not bad for that first restoration...better than I did. Icon_lol

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. 
It was definitely a long time coming because it kept getting put on the back burner for 5 years because I would keep getting new projects to work on from other people (or I would buy something else to work on as well) that was easier to work on, plus by the time I would think about refinishing the radio it was too late and it would start getting too cold, so I finally got it done this past summer.

Very nice work!

I don't hold with furniture that talks.