Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1263

I just picked up this beauty last weekend. Everything works. I ordered a new needle-- once I have it, I will try out the phonograph player. 
Question though:
Can I play 33 1/2 size records on it?
Or is it strictly 78s?

Hi Tracy and Welcome,
I suspect that it's a 78 rpm player only for a couple of reasons if it has the original turntable. 1948 was the 1st yr for 33 1/3 long playing record Philco's model yr starts the previous spring (6-47) so may not gotten any 33 changers till the '49 models. If I'm not mistaken the 78 takes larger needle than the 33 so the cartridge would have two and you would flip the cartridge over depending on which type the record you are playing. If the tone arm doesn't have a little knob on the front of it it's probably a 78 only player.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Actually, Terry, my parents had a Zenith record player / radio with a Cobramatic changer. It played 33 1/3, 45, and 78. It used the same needle for all 3. I don't know about Philco.

Welcome, nice to hear another person is working on a radio/phono player. I have a 42-1001p that I have been working on Im having trouble
with the two way vol. on off switch, I don't think it is wired right. But for yours, I believe it would be a 78 player. Mine is posted on elc. restore.

I spoke w/Kirk abt the changer and he said that it's a 78 only. The two different sizes of needles I was thinking abt goes like this. The 78 originally used a fat needle later on when the 33 1/3 & 45's came out they used a narrow needle. You can use the narrow needle on the 78 but you can't use the fat needle on the 33/45 record.
Mike's Cobra change must have had the narrow needle.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry