Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-350

Hi guy's,
Just finished restoring this radio. The cabinet was so dirty it took three times with GoJo to get the dirt off then used Murphys oil soap to clean it again. After that used Restor A Finish Cherry to enrich the finish, after that used Minwax Paste wax, the cabinet for not completing refinishing it looks very good. Polished the brass bezel around the push buttons.
Replaced all the caps and some resistor's, also had to replace four of the loctal tubes which we all love, had to clean the pins of the tubes to get good contact, and use Deoxit D5 when the tubes were put in the sockets. The bushings on the push buttons and the upper part of the chassis where it mounts to the cabinet. Could not replace the bushing on the chassis bottom where it sets on the floor of the cabinet, they are in okay condition. Also replaced some of the crispy wiring.
The toughest part of this restoring was to get the chassis back into the cabinet. Because of the new bushing that were replaced had a hard time getting the buttons centered in the slot, after some adjustment it all came together.
Performance....this has to be the greatest radio that I have done for reception, except some of the 1960's German radios.
Without an external antenna I was able to receive many more stations. Other than the tubes that were used in this radio, it is one great radio.

I am in the process of restoring a Philco 38-7

Thanks for reading.
Jim

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Sounds like it was a fun project. I have been trying to get one of those. 
can you show a picture? 

Jim
Spring Lake MI