Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How popular was the Philco 87?

As I test and revive the Philco 87 lowboy in my bedroom, a question has come to mind: Just how popular was this model? I know in my area if a 1929/30 era Philco console appears for sale that there is a 90% chance that it's an 87. In fact, I am amazed at how often this model still pops up for sale, though not as often as in the past with the occasional 95 in the mix. I think I have seen only one model 65 pop up for sale all these years, but it was about three hours away from my place! Icon_eek  I have only run across parts chassis in my area for the model 65 and 76 in my neck of the woods. So, either the 87 was super popular or the salesmen in the Cleveland, Akron, and Canton, Ohio regions were really good! Icon_smile Heck, I have three myself! Two lowboys and one highboy!

P.S. My good lowboy still works and acts like I had just used it the yesterday, in spite of sitting for over a year. Not bad for a semi-restored radio! Runs a lot cooler on that resistor box I had made. That former Zenith employee did a good job on that! Icon_biggrin

No matter where you go, there you are.