Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 570 Gramps Clock

Do you iron with starch first before gluing?

Also 3M dries fast and within 2 minutes stretching becomes next to impossible.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Yes, starch and iron first.  If your glue dries too fast you can use your method of gluing the top and stapes on the bottom.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

FWIW ..... my method of installing synthetic grille clothe was to iron it flat (no starches etc), then glue the edges only, pulling it tight and holding it tight somehow (depends on the board). Once well dried I just put a heat gun to it evenly. I have been fortunate that every cloth I have installed just shrank on it's own under heat and tightened up beautifully. I also used a soldering iron to open up speaker screw holes and melt thread ends to prevent fraying.

cheers

First, I cut, starched and ironed the cloth.
As I said before, I have the second board so the unwieldy one with the speaker already mount wasn't necessary to use.
Then, as Mike suggested, I used a cardboard box as the holder. The box is sturdy enough to not collapse under even more considerable pressure than the one I had to apply (not much at all).

Then protected the cone.

Then glued the top, dried, and then the rest of it, having stretched while gluing.

Then installed in the cabinet.

And the chassis.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

What I noticed, the dial pushes against theescutcheon.
I  moved the dial deeper down the tuning cap shaft. But it could be done only so much.
It still presses on it a bit.
Tuning cap cannot be moved, the dial....maybe another 0.04" if this much.
The chassis itself is as far back as the holes in the shelf allow it to be.

As for the sound....as expected. I cannot call it very good, it is a 70.
Maybe with a better speaker....

But I do not improve on factory designs.
Will have to do.

Now the clock.

Nice job Mike. That grill cloth looks good.

It is my suspicion there was something at the bottom of the cabinet.

There is a long bolt there. I  wonder what it held.

A weight, possibly? The center of gravity of this clock is high and it might be dangerous.
I wonder if they had some sort of lead plate there.

Mine has nothing. I've always assumed that that bolt, which I've seen on other Philco's was for shipping.

With the chassis inside it is not entirely unstable but given enough tip it could fall.

I'm not saying one would never tip over (with a little help perhaps), but mine sat in the living room area of our previous house for 18+ years with all ages of kids crawling, walking, and running by it with nary a mishap except an almost poke through the grille cloth by some little fingers. 

I suppose Ralph Nader would deem it Unsafe at any Angle or Unsafe on any Surface Icon_e_wink

Looks good Mike, send the clock to Kirk, he's a clock expert and bored being quarantined

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Ralph had no idea what he was talking about, ask me how I know.  Icon_mad 

Greg B

Attached Files Image(s)

I always liked the Corvair and yours is a beauty Greg Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

That is a good looking Covrair Corsa. I still wish I had kept my restored 1964 Spyder convertible I sold in 2007.

Thanks, I like them so much I have three, a 61 Lakewood, 62 Spyder convertible, and the 65 Corsa. They are awesome cars and if spring ever arrives I will be driving them ever chance I get.

Greg B

Greg,

So how do you know and what does the Corvair have to do with it. It didn't fal on you...???