Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 570 Gramps Clock

Don't despair Mike, you're a clever lad and maybe you can transplant just the parts you need into one motor that works Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

I cancelled it.
It lingered few minutes, then disappeared from my orders which tells me it got cancelled.
If against all odds it comes, then I'll deal with it.
I think it would make sense for all the gear holes to be in the same locations, but I don't know if it is the way they are.
I Would go and send it out to the rework shop, but right now going ito our very small and usually crowded (maybe it is not now, but still) Post Office is something I could do without.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Successfully cancelled; the seller is a very nice guy and even said that if I am desperate he could try to take his clock and try to switch the gearbox.
I sent him my photos, he deals in these, specifically in Lanshire and might have some good advice.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Ron

BTW, my minute hand is also held by the nut.

Alao it is my impression the original clock movement was even shorter else why they put that wooden spacer there?
But with this eBay clock the spacer wouldn't do as a thicker spacer would not let the threaded part through in order for the shaft to not stick out too much.

morzh Wrote:Alao it is my impression the original clock movement was even shorter else why they put that wooden spacer there?

Exactly. Your motor (which is itself a replacement, as has already been estabished) has a shaft which was too long, hence the spacer. The eBay motor would have been worse (longer shaft).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage...SwNmheV~7u

Ron

Will this clock fit?

That's an original spin start motor and should fit just fine.

Edit: Be aware the 551/52/80 Colonial Clocks did not have second hands. Don't know how important to you that is, but I thought I would mention it. I do not know if you can put a second hand on this motor.

In any event, good luck!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I thought the 570 clock didn't have the second hand either. Saw it mentioned somewhere.
Or is it not true?

Also, I cannot see the nut that holds the clock to the dial face. Is it there? I can see it uses bolts to hold the movement by the bezel. In my case there is nothing to bolt the bezel to.

I don't have a 570, but I do have a Model 52 GFC. If I don't forget, I'll look at it later today and see what kind of clock it has and whether it has a second hand.

I was thinking the grandfather clocks have second hands while the Colonial Clocks do not. I may be mistaken.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I looked at a couple more 51 clocks I found the rear views of, same movement as on this one, and is held by the bezel, not by the center nut.
Mine doesn't have anything for the bezel to attach to, and even if it did, then nothing would hold the dial.
I saw the same dial on ETSY, it has small center hole, so not sure if it is from 570 or not. If it is, then 570 could've used the same movement as 51 and the centerhole was enlarged to let the replacement movement through. If not, then....I'd really love to see an original movement.
I cannot even find the picture of it.

Mike, here is a picture of the clock in my 570 (and it does have a second hand):

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

John

Thanks.
Does the clock attched by a nut to the dial in the center?
Also, is it the original movement?

What I might do is establishing "click-n-ship" USPS account, order some flat rate boxes and ship this clock to the repair house withour leaving the residence.

I found out I did have an account with USPS. So I ordered flat rate boxes. They are free.
Then I will ship it to the repair house.
They rebuild motors for $25 and if you send them the whole thing then it is $50
I am om with this price.

Mike, I do not see a nut behind the hands attaching it to the face.  I'm pretty sure it is an original clock.  I think the clock is attached to a piece of wood and that is bolted up behind the face as shown (but I've never removed it):

I think your idea of having yours repaired is a good one.  Even if it isn't original it is still an older electric movement and you know it will fit.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

John

I think it is the clock that is attached to the dial, then dial is held by tacks or screws to the wooden panel, and the latter is being held by the rectangular wooden piece b6 being pressed agains the cabinet. The clocks, yours and mine are pretty much the same, size- or appearance-wise.
It probably was the replacement of choice at 40s and 50s.