Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 570 Gramps Clock

Speaking of dials.... ine seems to be fastened to the wooden backing by one metal insert clip, kinda like those used to tack cardboard backs in backelite radios. What do we call them and where do I get them?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Those little buggers are hard to find these days, but Renovated Radios is now making some:

http://www.renovatedradios.com/product.php?product=433

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

John

Exactly. Thanks. Do you know if they also fit to tack the dial?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Quote:Do you know if they also fit to tack the dial?
I'm not sure Mike, I've never taken my clock apart.  I think Ron has had his apart so maybe he'll see this and chime in.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

John

Thanks, yes, the split pin.

Here's something that might work.

https://www.amazon.com/YEJI-200pcs-Faste...fts&sr=1-7

https://www.amazon.com/500-Pieces-Mini-B...fts&sr=1-9

"Split pin" is the key word.
While for backs what Renovated makes is what I would buy, these are out of sight and will work as well.

I just have to make sure the go through the wood. The RR ones rely on tight fit but these need to go through and split.

You might also want to look at "split rivets". The brass ones that Zenith uses on the leather handle bracket of their portables. They usually have a round head.

Rod

Rod

No those won't do.
Being essentially the same type I just showed, they are made especially hard so when split and curled, they could withstand the weight of a fairly heavy radio withour uncurling.
I went through it with some of my portable WaveMagnets a year ago.
Because of this working with thin vulnerable sheet of metal like the dial here, the effort might damage it.
I think a soft one is needed here.

I need some of the t-clips myself. There's always one or two missing from the back of a radio.

Eliot Ness Wrote:I think Ron has had his apart so maybe he'll see this and chime in.

Well, actually, I have not taken the clock apart that is in my model 52 GFC either, so I can't comment on how it all fits together.

Mike, please let us know how things work out if you have that motor repaired. Maybe we all might send our non-working original motors to him if he does good work.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

I will.

PS. It still seems the 51/52 has a different movement with different way of being held in place so it wouldn't help me much, so no need to take yours apart for now.

PPS. I measured the diameter of my holes; it seems the RR clips should fit nicely, the holes being 5/32", same as what is stated for the clips.

PPPS. I think this is what I need.

https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fastene...10501&th=1

A split rivet, D=5/32" , L = 1/4".
Either this or 5/16" long.

Remember, Mike, mine is a grandfather clock, not a tabletop Colonial Clock. It has a second hand and is identical in every way with the 70 grandfather clock save for the radio chassis and speaker.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, Mike's is the grandfather clock also, unless somewhere in this thread he switched radios, in that case I'm Icon_crazy

I thought at one time I read where you replaced the clock movement in yours with a modern one, but I must have radios confused.... blame it on the virus!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY

Ron

I thought that 51/52 or 80jr were only tabletops.
Now that I know different, yes it would be helpful to look at yours, but again, if we are going to be taking apart a perfectly good radio without real need, then maybe we shouldn't.

John,

No, no switcheroos have been pulled so far Icon_smile
Still dealing with 570 GFC.
Ordered the split rivets yesterday.

John (Eliot) - yes, I know Icon_smile
Back when I had my 80 Colonial Clock, its original motor had been replaced with a newer AC motor with a second hand. I had it apart so a friend could shorten the length of the hand adjustment shaft. It did not protrude from the back, but from the bottom, and it was interfering with the dial. This was several years ago.

Mike - the Philco 52 grandfather clock is very rare, but I have one. Icon_smile I'm only aware of two or three in existence. One was in a collection on the Illinois side of St. Louis at one time, and mine came from the St. Louis area (Missouri side - not the same radio). I recall a third but do not remember where it was located.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

John,

The photo of the back of your clock looks exactly the same as mine in my 570, but mine does not have a second hand. To date I have not been able to find any information on the clock motor itself.