Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 570 Gramps Clock

Mike L,

Is your second hand just missing or does your clock not have a place for one?

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

LOL, you guys are starting to sound like Abbott and Costello's Who's on First.

>> Is you second hand just missing?

As long as the first is still there. Otherwise it is hard indeed.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

As near as I can tell it never had a second hand. FWIW, I'll post a photo after work tonight.

Mike

Actually, I started a thread on mine with photos a while ago. Really have'nt had any time to work on it.

https://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showt...ther+clock

Mike

Mike

Yes, I remember the thread.

Well...now is as good a time as any.
My USPS boxes should arrive soon, so I will ship my clock for the motor to be rebuilt.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hey Mike,

Mine does have a second hand on it.

Thanks,
Paul

So I tried the split pins.
Though the diameter was exactly right, stainless against wood provides very little retaining force.

So I used a wedge tool to split the pin further.

The pin then has to be aligned and compressed a bit to start getting into the hole. Or maybe the end of it ground to form a chamfer. Or maybe the wooden hole slightly countersunk at the top. Just to start guiding the wider split pin.

The result is acceptable.

At the end, I think it might be a better choice  for this particular goal than the one from  the  Renovated Radios, the reason being, the latter, if does not provide retaining action, cannot be split anymore being plastic, whereas the metal one can.

Today Mike from Norkro told me my clock is working fine and is being tested.
He said it was gunked up oil, no rewind was necessary.
When I asked why then I was able to rotate the first sprocket and consequently the motor shaft, he explained that these motors are very weak and cannot handle even moderate gunking.
OK, so now I know that.
He will send it back to me soon.

The total with shipping came to exactly $55. If I were savvy enough and chose to take the gear off and ship the motor only, it would then be $30. But... .I thought, might as well service the whole clock.

The clock came back this morning.
It is being quarantined for 4hrs in the garage, and then will go to the shop.

It works.
Haven't checked the timekeeping yet.
The trippler does not take the new plugs so I have to plug the cords separately.
I also have to come up with a fuse box, the wire nuts inside that can do not make me confident.

So...

What I am pondering is....

The clock is working well.
So does the radio.

I am not in the habit of keeping my radios plugged in, as I do not want to drill holes and install fuses, and the radio without a fuse is a fire hazard.
So, I resort to plugging them into power strip that are off. If I want to listen to a radio, I turn the respective strip on.

However this done to a clock means the clock being, well.....useless.
This is why I thought plugging the radio and the clock to a fused strip. Like 1.5A - 2A, fast action, should be adequate.
I cannot seem to find anything like it.
I can make one myself, taking a 2-outlet metal box, placing two outlets in it, putting a fuseholder...well, 2 fuseholders, to protect the radio and the clock separately.
I have to exclude the original tripler mount on the wall from the picture. It does not accept modern polarized plugs.

But before I make a project out of it, I would like to make sure there is no off-the-shelf solution.
The fact that I haven't found one does not mean it does not exist.

Anyone knows of something of that sort?
Like a fused tripple plug adapter? Or anything suitable?

Morzh, I'll send you a fused Elmenco plug as used on the 37-116 if you wish.

Rfeenstra

This one, right?
https://www.ebay.com/i/372279994420?chn=...gLwMfD_BwE

If you have an extra one, I'd be much obliged.

I haven't used those...do they house a changeable fuse?

Someone is selling a box of 10 on eBay.
Want $75 plus 15 shipped.
Is this excessive?
Should I offer so ething (guy accepts offers)?