Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-390 questions

Hi, New to this web site so hello to everyone. I've always loved history and old things in general so I was at a flea market and found this Philco Model 42-390 in excellent condition. Well the cabinet was original and very close to new condition. I has a few marks but mostly on the bottom trim where it was swept and mopped around. Anyway I know by now from reading on this site that plugging it in isn't the best thing to do but the guy had it plugged in and playing when I bought it. I gave 175.00 for it. Maybe too much maybe a bargain I don't know. I just knew it was in great shape other than the plastic being bezel on the front being made from one of those wonderful ever shrinking plastics of the fortie. I have some old Winchesters with the majical shrinking buttplate too. I did some research on the radio before I went back and bought it and saw I could get most everything I needed to really make it look nice. I ordered and received a new bezel and that leads to some questions I have. The original bezel has a metal piece on the back that has a piece of paper under it. I want to replace the piece of paper but don't know what I should use. I also plan to get rid of the tabs on the knock off bezel and drill it and use the original twisty like nail fasteners to install the bracket back on. Anyway I know the stuff isn't regular paper, looks kind of like the paper off the back of a peel off sticker. The old one isn't in bad shape but it's got some stains from the metal piece and it's yellowed to some extent. So that's question #1. What do I use to replace that old paper. I'm one H**l of an auto mechanic and electrician but I don't know jack about electronics but I would really like to replace all the Electrolitic Capacitors and other Capacitors on the unit myself after reading that's what should be done to avoid other problems. I couldn't believe the local TV and Radio place said they wouldn't touch one of these old tube sets with a 10 ft pole. So question #2 is do you guys think someone with above average mechanical skills can tackle this without toasting the whole unit? I read that these later units use rubber covered wires under the chassis and would likely be in bad shape so I was surprised when I flipped it over and all the wiring was in excellent shape. The radio still has all the paper capacitors so I don't think it's ever been worked on. The stations seem to drift some and it makes lots of racket when pushing the pre set station buttons but when it's dialed in on a station I was shocked at the sound quality. After rotating it through the stations several times it got to where the needle wouldn't move so I looked and the outer jacket on the string that works the needle had torn away. I ordered some string off one of the suggested sites and got it changed out and that works great. I didn't have the little original metal deals they clamped the original string with so I just tied it in a knot and put some super glue on the knot, I figured that would do and if it doesn't there's like 25ft of cord on the roll so I can do re-do it lots of timesIcon_smile All the original call tabs were on the radio except for the ON-OFF one. A few had clear plastic pieces over the call letters but most did not so question #3 Is how was this set up originally and where can I get an ON-OFF tab to go in the slot? The last question I have is about the wire that runs around the back edge of the cabinet. This wire is dried out and was really in the shape I expected the wire under the chassis to be in. Anyway the wire has a plug on it that plugs into the back of the radio and is stapled around the edge of the cabinet. It's broken into in the middle at the bottom so question #4 is was this wire originally a continious loop or is it supposed to be cut into? I want to replace it since the jacket is crumbling and wanted to know for sure it it was supposed be cut into three or if it had just got broken over the years. I also thought maybe there was something missing that was between the wires at the bottom so one could fasten other wires on them to get more reception. I know by the time a real radio guy reads this he's gonna say geez what a rookie but we were all rookies at one time in any hobby we decided to join in. I would appreciate your help bringing me up from the lowly Grasshopper I am now Great Masters. I already have my eye on a nice 42-400 but the bezel is crappy and I don't believe you can get a reproduction one. The cabinet sure is nice though. Thanks!

Any of you guys willing to help me out?

Welcome aboard. Lots of knowledgeable folks here, of which I'm the least knowledgeable! If that wire underneath is in as good a shape as you say, someone may already have done some restoration work. Getting some photo's to us through this post would be helpful. To answer a few diagnostic questions would also help. 1. With the unit UNPLUGGED and using a popsicle stick or pencil eraser, does any of the insulation on the wire under the chassis break or crumble when gently touched or rubbed? If it does, the wire will need to be replaced or covered with shrink tubing. 2. When the unit was plugged in, was there a lot of bass-hum coming from the speaker? Lots of hum could mean filter caps need replacing. 3. Are the capacitors under the chassis dirty and look like they are covered with or made from wax, or are they a bright orange or yellow? Waxy capacitors (especially if they are marked 'Philco') would indicate replacement is needed. Bright yellow or orange could mean someone refurbished some items. Again, photos of the underside of the chassis would help us guide you. 4. The wire that goes around the inside of the cabinet is probably the antenna, but frankly I've never seen a 42-390 so I'm speculating. Hope this helps!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"

I remember my dad restored a 42-390 about 10 years ago. I seem to remember the wire around the back edge of the cabinet as not being continuous. It is the antenna for the old FM band that this set covers. The service information has contradicting information on it. The parts list labels it as the FM Loop Aerial which would indicate it is a loop or continuous wire. The alignment instructions refer to it as the Dipole Aerial which would indicate it is not a continuous wire but two separate lengths of wire as I seem to remember it being. I just noticed that the 42-1015 I have uses the same part number for this aerial as the 42-390. I will look at mine and report back.

Sean
WØKPX

The FM antenna on my 42-1015 is indeed a dipole. It is not a continuous wire and there is a gap of a few inches between the ends of each wire at the bottom of the cabinet. For what it's worth, mine has cloth insulated wire instead of rubber insulation.

To answer your 2nd question, I think a mechanical (and you also mention electrical) background really helps in learning how to fix old radios. It means that you can learn and understand things of a technical nature. There are many knowledgeable people on this forum that can help you along. You have probably already read some warnings but I do also want to mention that you need to be careful when working on any vacuum tube equipment due to the high voltages present.

Sean
WØKPX

i need to replace power transformer i found a hammond p-t270daz similar specs other thansec#2 the orig. was6.4v and 4.3a and replacement is6.3v and3.5 amp is that going to be problem another question how do i know where each transformer wire goes hwhite19@juno.com