Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How rare is the 1st version model 18X?

How rare is the 1st version model 18X console with 2 bands, Broadcast and shortwave (Police band, aircraft etc)?

Larry

Hmmm, since I don't see a bunch of folks posting "I see them all the time." or "Quite common." I'm going to assume it's fairly difficult to find? Of course we all know what happens when we ASSUME. Icon_biggrin

Well Larry,

Philco made 27,000 of those cabinets. Of that total, they were shared between models 14X, 16X and 18X as well as the following year's (1935 season) 18X, 49X, 118X and 144X.

Of those models, I would guess that the lowest number made would be 49X followed by 16X.

Then, assuming a 30% survival rate (again, guessing)...which would be 8,100 total of all seven model versions...

One thing is clear: Philcos in this cabinet style are not exactly common. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Besides, it's a great looking cabinet! Snatch it up if not too pricey.

Hi all     Is this the model you are talking about?

Yes.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the info Ron. I wonder why the version changes in such a relatively short period of time; 1st ver BCB & Police/Aircraft, 2nd ver BCB only, and 3rd ver BCB & SW (diff frequencies than 1st ver). It seems odd. Icon_e_smile

Larry

I like that cabinet. I'd love to find one of these locally.

We were very lucky, then with our 16X find all those years ago.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

I found one last week, but it was in seriously horrendous condition. It would have been easier to make a new cabinet from scratch than fix it.