Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

double chassis Philco ID

Hi guys, this is a shot in the dark. I saw a Philco radio in an Antique shop, couldn't find the model #. It was a table top radio not a cathedral or a tombstone.
The only thing I can remember was that it had two chassis's. The chassis on the right is smaller and connected to the larger one by a plug like a speaker would be. This is looking from the back.
I wish I had taken picture's of it. Would like a model or models that would have this type of chassis. I believe it is a 1930-40 vintage. Did some searching but no luck...............

Any help would be appreciated .

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Hi Jim,
The only multiple chassis radios Philco built in the 30's would have been the 37-690 and 38-690 consoles. In a table set...possibly what you saw was a farm battery set, with either a power converter (battery eliminator) added, or if it was a 6 or 32 volt set, possibly it was a vibrator power supply.

The only other possibility I can think of in a 1930's table set would possibly be something with the model 4 shortwave converter added...but I believe that only the 470 and 490 consoles had the converter built in to them from the factory. Otherwise the converter was a stand alone unit.

Sorry for the late reply, it is a 38-40T model.

Jim
Spring Lake MI

Hi Jim,
The 38-40T is a 6 volt battery set, with a separate 115 volt power supply in it, so it could be operated on either battery or AC modes. Kinda odd to do it that way, but I have a 6 volt set from Phonola (Canadian brand) that is done that way as well.