Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Appraisers?
Photo 

Hello,

If anyone can send me some info on this radio bar I inherited I would appreciate it.  I will probably be selling it as one unit but have NO idea of it's value.  I saw one on Ebay selling for $29,999.

Then I saw one selling for $850.00.  I see that the glassware is expensive.  My father bought this new.  We (the kids) used to listen to the world on this thing. Ships, planes, England. My dad used it for his parties for music.

My older brother inherited it but it was just furniture.  They moved so I inherited it from him.  I've had the radio given the once over twice by a qualified repairman.  I also managed to get a replacement cloth for the front that is the exact same. My brothers cats clawed the cloth up.
I'm not sure I added a few pics correctly.

George

After looking at some pics on here of the 37-610  I see that mine is NOT that.  Mine is a radio Bar. Stands like 4' tall.  I hope my photos came through.
George

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Radio Bars, especially with some original glassware can command some nice prices. Your unit does look to be in relatively nice shape. The $29k set has been for sale for a long time which tells you that there are not many people who would pay that much even for a very nice one. Others here will have more experience with a value than I have.

Radio bar and the radio with the same chassis do not look the same.
But they will have the same exact chassis inside, which is what makes a radio bar a, say, 37-610.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

One with all the glassware sold for $5000 on a recent auction here in Michigan.

A nice fully complete Philco bar was selling for $1,500 or so about 4 years ago in Kutztown.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Are there appraisers out there that specialize in these radios??  I have a friend at an auction house and he knows a little about a lot but I'm not sure he knows the value of my radio bar.
George

Attached Files Image(s)

You have yourself a Model 507 with likely a philco 37-610 chassis. You could get different chassis from philco for that year. I saw the same one on antique radio forum with more pictures and of the cabinet itself. Did someone add the smoke striping? I don't think that was original. The chrome looks in decent shape. From what I see, I think you could ask in the $2500.00 - $4500.00 range. The prices go all over the place with these, but with the glassware you have, I think that range is where you would find a seller. If it is a family piece though, you may want to consider keeping it and competing the set. They are great conversation pieces, and very neat to say your father had bought it new and you used to listen to it.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions about it.

Professional appraisers are sometimes way off.
Almost everything I remember said on the Antique Roadshow would start from: "if the rught buyer comes along".
Well, one could wait a lifetime for that right buyer.

Thanks for your advice.  I don't believe anyone in my family is capable of putting on the smoke striping lol.  That's the way it came.

Are you sure you want to sell it?

No I guess not.   It is a nice piece of furniture.   Sometime in the future if I move I'll probably sell.  Thanks for all the information.