Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HELP 38-9 Tapped Volume Control circuit substitution

Looking to replace Volume Control on 38-9 Philco part # 33-5216 2meg with 1 meg tap. Anyone have one or perhaps any ideas or tips to replace? I pondered using a stock 1Meg and adding 1 meg resistor at ground and using that junction as tap connection. Yes I have sent Mark Oppat a message requesting one but no replies so far. If you have one available or ideas for substitutions please let me know. Thanks Todd

You can use an untapped 2 meg pot, just do not connect the wire going to the tap at present. It only affects the tone at low volumes. The radio will work OK without it. If you tried using a 1 meg, with a 1 meg resistor, you would not have the full range of volume control, and end up stuck with half volume to full volume, not what you want.

Or if you like experimenting this might give you some of the desired results.
Sorry was having a brain flatulent the 1m should be 2M

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Mark is around! He's making a control for my Philharmonic. Should have it this week. Use the "Special Order Items" (last on the list of his web page) to order what you want. Or, you can call him like I did and he will point you to the same menu item and he will take notes on what you need. Careful, he likes to talk! Of course, I enjoy that too. A wealth of information and a LOT of controls.

Close I have is a new old stock 33-5233 2 MEG 

I have a dual; 2.5 meg, 1meg with 500K tap (33-5592-31), dual 1 meg, 2.5 meg no tap, dual 3 meg, 2.5 meg no tap, 1meg with 250K tap, etc. These are all TV controls, so it would help if you could post a picture or dimensions, shaft needed, etc. and I could dig further. Of course, Mark may find something in a week or so-he is indeed busy as mentioned.
Dan

Hi Dan I am interested in maybe one or two to try if the price is right. Like the 1meg with 500K tap etc.. Can I send you a PM or email to discuss? Thanks!
Todd

Sure. I am here another half hour, then back at it at 8 in the morning (no internet at home). Dan

Just update, re capped and installed a plain old generic 1 meg audio pot and she works great. 2 out of the 3 tone control positions work. The only one that does not is obviously loudness tap off the volume control. So if anyone is in a bind this would work.

I am going to install a correct pot down the road but just an FYI the radio works great with a generic sub.

T