Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems

Quote:Hmmm.  They are " relatively" dry compared to the liquid filled Ecaps.  there is a paste in them and they still dry out and go bad.  I've had many a "modern" ecap go bad because they dried out.  Replace them!

Mr. Feenstra, I am currently listening to a 1942 Zenith 10S690 radio/record player combo that I've had for nearly a year and it has nearly all of its original components in it yet (except one paper cap I replaced that was the coupling cap for the 2 6V6 output tubes) and the radio also has its original Aeorvox Dry Electrolytic can cap in the radio, and the radio is working flawlessly in fact I'm currently listening to a radio station out of Waterloo, Iowa right now and I live in Elkhart, Indiana (its a 50kW Blowtorch) and I'm not having a bit of problems with the radio picking the station. 

I also have a 1969 Pioneer SX-1000 TD Stereo Receiver that is working on almost all of its original components (except for the large coupling caps for the amplifier stage, which had to be replaced as the originals had failed which caused it to not put out any audio). 

In my opinion I don't see anything wrong with keeping these dry electrolytics in place as long as they are working fine, if the radio starts developing a hum then I will disconnect and replace the original can, but right now the radio is working just fine with the original can caps in place and its showing no signs of failing anytime soon. 

Actually the main reason why these can caps fail in the first place is because they were sitting unused for a long time in either an attic or a basement, when a radio is used on a regular basis it keeps the caps from drying out and deforming and failing.

I've also got a 1962 Motorola SP-29 IE Suitcase record player that is also still working on its original dry electrolytic can caps and it also has mylar caps in it so the record player is rock solid functonality wise, the only thing that doesn't function properly is the changer mechanism on the turntable which I've tried to fix it various times but with little success but it does still function audio wise.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems - by captainclock1988 - 04-13-2020, 10:56 PM