Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems

Quote:Yes. You should trust that the information is correct as far as the as hematics are given.
No. The usage of the componets in some schematics is incorrect. The schematic is faithfully tells us that.
And....no, many schematics have mistakes. Philco in particular. Like missing tiedots. So if you followed say 60 sch while rewiring the chassis, it would not work.

It helps when one understands schematics, not just blindly follows one. Even the one that correctly represents the circuitry. Because the circuitry may be flawed.

Ok, I'm out.

I wasn't saying that ALL service information is going to be accurate, notice how I said in my previous post that Riders is notorious for mistakes in their service manuals, but I studied the schematic and the pictured they had of the underside and upper side of the chassis on this radio and and compared it to the unit I have which like I said was an unmolested example as it had all of its original paper and electrolytic caps intact yet as well as all of its original carbon comp resistors (Allen Bradley style and the old style carbon comps that had the rougher surface than the newer style Allen Bradley Style Carbon Comp Resistors), and the radio I have matched the schematic and the photo representation of the chasis that showed the physical location of each part on the chassis perfectly even the parts list matched the parts that were in the unit I have.

That's why I was saying that my radio as it sits was exactly as it was when it left the factory over 70 years, right down to the filter cap values, plus there were manufacturers during the tube era that were known to drive tubes well above their rated specs to get more power out of their units, for example I had gotten from my church several years back an old Newcomb Pathfinder PA Monoblock Amp that that was rated for 75 Watts max, using 7027As in Push-Pull Configuration which 7027As in push-pull configuration are good for about 65-70 Watts MAX and Newcomb drove the 7027As extremely hard in their Amplifier setup in order to milk an extra 5 watts out of the them by upping the B+ voltage on the plates of those 7027As from their max rating of 450V to aroud 650V using a special Voltage Doubler Circuit that utilized a 6V6GT tubge as a Voltage Regulator Tube for the circuit. 

My guess is that when Westinghouse designed and built this radio they were designing it in a way that drove the tubes in it beyond their limits in order to get the most out of the circuit that they could, seeing that this is a fairly minimal circuit compared to other comparable AM/FM tabletop radios from this time period (such as the ones that Zenith made like this).

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems - by captainclock1988 - 09-12-2020, 02:10 AM