Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems

Quote:I think it's necessary to keep in mind that most (with a few exceptions) tube data sheets show "typical" operating values, not maximums. When I look at other schematics and most spec charts, I see "typical" of 40uF in the specs, but many schematics with more than 40uF, and I have seen and replaced some of these myself, usually with 47uF caps. Keeping in mind that these sets have operated for several decades like this, it is my opinion that this 40 vs 50 is a tempest in a teapot and unworthy of much debate. I believe the schematics are correct as drawn and are not errors, and I personally will continue to NOT second guess the engineers who designed the radios in the first place.

John, I agree 100% with what you just said, that's exactly what I was trying to say this whole entire time but everyone was just ignoring my comments because they think that just because I'm a 31 year old that's only been fixing radios and record players for 20 years that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I've repaired over 20 radios so far using the values spec'd in the service data for the radios (or going off what was originally in the radios) and I have yet to have a radio fail on me.

Quote:And....speaking of "several decades of operating like this", we do not know how many time this tube was replaced.

PS. I am not saying the tube will immediately go up in smoke because of 50uF. Or even 100uF. It might last for years and, given today's "once in a blue moon" operation, might live forever. But to me this is a wrong way to do things. Even if it works.

morzh,

Just so you know, this radio still has its original Westinghouse branded Rectifier Tube in it with a date code of 8-13 (13th week of 1948) and it tests around 95 out of 100 on my tube tester so that just tells you that the original filter caps that they used in there (50/50 @ 150) didn't overdrive the rectifier tube in this radio at all. even the original 35B5 output tube measured about a 90 out of 100, there were only 3 tubes in this radio that were replaced over the years (well actually 2 the 19T8 was replaced by me because it was the original Westinghouse branded tube in there when I got it and was measuring weak on two of the 4 sections of the tube) the other two tubes that were replaced in its history was the 12BA6 and the 12AT7 the rest were all original Westinghouse tubes that still tested between 85 and 95 out of 100. 

So with that in mind I think this radio's design was just fine as is.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems - by captainclock1988 - 09-12-2020, 11:52 AM