Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems

I was browsing on ebay and I found an output transformer that looks almost exactly like the one that was in this radio originally right down to the extra tap and the single secondary lead wire being soldered to the transformer body as a ground so that the speaker (which also has one lead attached to its body) can work through the radio chassis with only one wire lead attached to it.

the only difference is that the amp (more than likely a radio) it originally came out of was a single 6AQ5 tube amp, whereas this radio was a 35B5 tube, so I don't know if transformers care about tube voltage or not but I thought I would ask you guys first before I bought it, also how super critical is the primary winding's resistance rating? I'm asking because I also found a couple of NOS Stancor output transformers that have selectable primary and secondary winding taps for various resistance ratings and the lowest resistance ratings they had on the primary side was 500 Ohms and this radio says the primary winding is ~200 ohms but I'm not sure if there's a ± percentage that the resistance rating could be or if it really doesn't matter, the output transformers in question are linked below.

Replacement Output Transformer Option #1

Replacement Output Transformer Option #2

Replacement Output Transformer Option #3

Replacement Output Tranformer Option #4

Replacement Output Transformer Option #5

Replacement Output Transformer Option # 6

Hopefully one of these will work, let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Westinghouse Model 1821 (182) audio problems - by captainclock1988 - 09-15-2020, 10:27 AM