Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Guard needed for Philco Dynamic Reproducer !

Can anyone help me locate the "forked guard " figure 5, 6, and 7 in my Photo Bucket attachment or the "new-type" guard in figure # 8 that are used with the new style Philco offset-type needle, figure # 4 ? Even the entire tone arm for the Philco Dynamic reproducer would sure come in handy ! The tone arm originally had the "nearly straight shanked needle with no guards and the only needle I was able to locate was the newer style offset-type needle that needs the guards !
Thanks for your help , Lee Petrie

[Image: http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp122...266102.jpg]

Hi Lee

Did you try West-Tech Services?

http://www.west-techservices.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for your reply, Ron ! I asked for the "straight shanked needle" from Gib, received the needle shown in figure # 4, bent at a right angle , emailed and call twice , unable to get in touch with him , to see if he "might" have the original "straight shanked needle" , seems to be a "lost cause" , thought the guard idea might be easier ! Lee

You're lucky your cartridge was not ruined by someone inserting a steel needle into that cartridge. The shank of a steel needle is too large for the hole, and will ruin the cartridge as it is extremely delicate.

I have a feeling you may not be able to obtain the forked guard. After all, these are parts that haven't been manufactured since the early 1950s (if they weren't discontinued before then). It seems like one could fabricate the "new-type" guard? Don't know about that.

Somewhere around here I have a NIB Philco crystal cartridge designed to replace that magnetic cartridge you have. Apparently they were a lot of trouble when they were new due to people putting the wrong needles in them and ruining them.

FWIW, Gib did rebuild one of these cartridges for me once, that had been ruined by the wrong needle. He did a great job and it worked fine when I got it back. I don't remember about the guard, though.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for your interest and inputs on possible solutions, Ron ! The Philco radio/changer belongs to my friend and one of those "family keepsakes" , with that in mind , your "homemade" guard idea sounded great, but I think I would rather not experiment with someone elses' property ! The entire crystal cartridge sound like a better idea , but I would imagine it is buried in your boxes ! Thought I might try the Antique Radio Forum , maybe a different group of people ! Lee Petrie

Lee Petrie Wrote:Thought I might try the Antique Radio Forum , maybe a different group of people !

UGH... Icon_evil Icon_rolleyes

A different group of people, alright. Just kidding. The vast majority of the people there are good, honest, helpful people. A lot of people here also are members there.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I guess, I should have completed my statement , Ron ! A different group of people with maybe a different collection of treasures ! Did I say that in a politically correct fashion ? Lee Icon_rolleyes