Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 600

I picked up one and it has no knobs or pointer. What are the correct ones for it
Txn
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

How's this?

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...f/600a.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron
Tnx for the pic. The bottom one looks to be a bit of an odd ball. Don't think I've ever seen one like it . Was is used on many other sets? Maybe the knob maker LB can mold me one.
Terry
ps Tnx for all your hard work in getting the site together and being a wonderful resource for all of us.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you, Terry!

I forgot to mention the following:

1. The two knobs have extensions so that they fit the shafts which are recessed, as you know, to allow the chassis to be easily removed once the knobs are pulled off.
2. The extensions are made to fit a slotted shaft.
3. The pointer is a separate part, and is made of unobtainium. The original pointers were fiber, and apparently were easily broken/lost, as the majority of surviving Philco sets using this pointer (53, 54, 57, 58, 59, 84, 600, 602, 37-33, 37-84, 37-93, 37-600, 37-602) are missing this pointer.
4. AFAIK, only the 600 and 602 use this off-on-volume knob. The 37-600 and 37-602 use a smaller version of the 600/602's tuning knob for off-on-volume.

Asking Larry B about this knob is a very good idea. If he does not have the mold and cannot make it, Ed at Renovated Radios can make one if you can find an original for him to make a mold from. I am sorry but I currently do not have an original - I have a 602C, but it is missing the off-on-volume knob. The photo above is of a set I used to own, but do not any longer.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

So I guess the $64 QUESTION IS Does anybody have a knob spare? Or one I could have a mold made of? I'm familiar with the pointer on the 37-33. It is fragile. Ed is a great too. I've purchased crt mask for my old Motorola VT-71 TV and he has just added repo knobs for that set too.
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I had a 37-600 once and fortunately the pointer was still there. It was a spring metal thingie, not fibre. For the knobs I bought some repros and epoxied on some extension shafts sliced off of some other knobs from the junque-box.

[No, wait a minute! Now that I looked back at my old photos its coming back to me! I didn't use a shaft from a donor knob. I sliced an appropriate length of plastic tubing (actually a Pilot roller ball pen!) and inserted a piece of metal down inside it. Glued that to an AES repro knob. Had to shave it down a tad to fit inside the pointer.

This was the pointer.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

On this model the original volume knob is similar in appearance but supposed to be slightly smaller. Sometimes you have to cheat.

Tnx so much for the pic's !
Terry

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Terry:

Are you certain the on/off/volume knob in that picture is correct? I could be wrong, but I always thought it was identical to the tuning knob, sans pointer.

Mike Koste
Gobs of Knobs
Zucksville, PA

ekimetsok Wrote:Terry:

Are you certain the on/off/volume knob in that picture is correct? I could be wrong, but I always thought it was identical to the tuning knob, sans pointer.

Hi Mike

I've seen a few 602C sets around, each one I have seen that still had its knobs had the odd off-on-volume knob that resembles a "chicken head" knob as shown in the picture of the 602C in the second post from the top.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN