Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Philco, Need Help!

Hi All,

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this project. I have recently picked up a used Philco Record Cabinet. From what I can gather, this may be a ~70's model? Other than that, I do not know anything about this and am having trouble locating a model number. Here are the issues I am experiencing, and would greatly appreciate any help or advice! This will be my first radio project, so I do not have much experience.

1. Curious if anyone knows the model/how to find it, and maybe a set of instructions?
2. Currently the record player itself is somewhat operable, sometimes I have to spin it a little for it to get going, but then it will play. It is a little noisy, maybe needs to be cleaned/greased? Not sure where to start here! (Also frankly not 100% sure how to operate it)
3. I want to say that the instrument panel needs some work, when I turn the it on sound only comes out of one speaker, but even if I turn the balance knob, it doesn't change anything. The volume knob works, but seems very loud at 2/10, and then quieter at 3/10, then louder, etc. I want to say that maybe they need service? (Some of the switches are very hard to move as well)
4. Not sure if the cause of only one speaker working is related to the instrument panel or something else altogether.

Goals:
1. Short term, I would be happy to have all of the speakers and the record player fully functional. My primary use would be the record player.
2. Ideally I would like to upgrade the speakers, have the record player fully functional, and turn this into a quasi record player/bar cart. Thinking of opening up the space to make more room for bottles glasses, but lets not get carried away before everything works!

Thank you so much!

Attached Files Image(s)

Thread moved to Vintage Hi-Fi, Stereo & Audio.

Welcome. I'll try to answer at least some of your questions:

1. Does the unit have a back? If so, look for a sticker with a number that starts with a letter followed by (typically) four numbers. If you find it, report back to us. Or at least take a photo or photos of anything that looks like model number info that may be found on the back.

2. Yes, the record player will need attention. I'll let someone else answer how to go about it, as this sort of thing is frankly above my pay grade. (I don't have much experience with turntables/record players, while others here have quite a bit of experience with them.)

3. It sounds like controls need to be cleaned. If you've never done this before, ask for help. This is not something to be done any old way, and you can't just use anything to clean the various controls. Switches will need DeoxIT; volume, tone and balance controls should use Caig FaderLube (only).

4. It could be one (or more) of many things. Dirty controls, a defect (or even more than one) in the amplifier, or both.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!

1. Unit does have a back, however no model number there unfortunately. I added a couple of more photos that didn't make it through before

2. Looking forward to help with the record player

3. I have not cleaned / serviced anything of this nature before, and definitely would like some help

4. Any ideas on where to start diagnosing is appreciated

Thank you!

Attached Files Image(s)

It's likely an early 1970s or possibly very late 1960s model. But without a model number, servicing is going to be tough.

The rest of you - Come on, don't be shy...post some ideas about turntable/record changer servicing...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

My recommendation is to find some one local (to you) that can give you a hand. I often help people around these parts, but it would be a long drive for you.

It is going to be complicated for a beginner.
At least a partial recap
Service the turntable
Trouble-shoot issues, which could get complicated
Having the right tools- can you solder? Some of those early PCBs can be a challenge for beginners - or experts
Ordering parts - what to get and where to get them
An explanation as to what to expect from speakers and what benefit - if any - will be gained from replacement
Talking you into not turning it into a bar

See if there is a local radio club.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Hi ItalStallion,
I know the post is old but if you're following, here's my $0/02:

The Record Changer appears to be V-M (Voice of Music), popular turntable for most American brands except most Magnavox (used Collaro) and most RCA (Built their own?). Rather simple turntable, decent. There are a few V-M sites on the WWW, some U Tube vids on disassembly and cleaning. Biggest issue with these (and almost any other turntable of this vintage was the idler wheel (capstan roller) and spring The roller dries out, losing traction. These are no longer manufactured and require rebuilding Think that even NOS Idlers are going to be dry. Several ePay sites offer rebuilt idler wheels. Next biggest is the motor bushings. (Motor is Alliance Genie.) Third biggest is the "changer mechanism". They were usually lubricated with a white lithium grease like Lubriplate ™. Guaranteed that has dried out. Rubber motor mount grommets may also require replacement. There are a few websites

I don't have specific documentation but you could lube the turntable hub and bearing with a good machine oil. ditto the tonearm. The Drive motor bearings are likely "Oilite", but likely require lubrication The motor is easily disassembled and the armature is usually self centering. Otherwise shim during assembly and remove the shims. Note, make sure that you don't assemble the motor upside down, it will turn backwards. (Found that out as a kid, and in 7th Grade, disassembled the Classroom Telechron clock and reassembled to run it backwards. Sister Margaret Miriam was not amused.) There are felt pads around the oilite bearings and a drop of oil helps. Be VERY careful not to over lube and absolutely do not get any oil on the idler wheel!!! Less is more. The cam mechanism is going to be more difficult. Degreasing the mech is a good idea. Take pix of the location of grease if attempting to disassemble or degrease.

Regarding the speakers, the set may play rather nice with what is there. Not very high tech;2 way and 3 way speakers when the woofer is a 6X9 radio grade speaker in an open back cabinet were a marketing ploy to sell these systems as having the same technology as Fisher, Scott, etc. If there is an aux input, pipe through something from an iPod to evaluate the sound. MP3s will usually sound better than vinyl (sorry purists).

Good Luck.

John "MrFixr" Stroh

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Thank you for that reply, I appreciate it very much especially since it is an older question. I will definitely look into what you recommended and appreciate being pointed in the right direction and the specifics you provided!