Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 84b in todays "world"

so the philco 60 speaker arrived and was installed un eventfully. i aligned it again just for grins and have been using it in the shop. theres a helluva lot RFI around here but its hard to tell just how much,and how much progress has been made in modern am radio that versus a 90 year old design.all my sets are grounded even the workshop pioneer sx 1500td radio.its reasonable early in the am then degenerates from there on a.m. last night i woke up at 3am couldnt sleep so i turned on the news and made some coffee. I was trying to figure out what one could do at 0300. well lets turn on the philco! i got my flashlite, turned off the chinese leds and tuned in reception was markedly improved. but still there was a lot of interstation noise especially above 790. what else could there be??? why the security cameras dummy!!!! as theres a camera keeping watch outside the workshop door.i killed power to the system and i was rewarded with excellent am reception and almost zero junk between stations ! it was truly a miracle of our new modern age! a decent sounding  90 year old radio.i hadnt heard a.m.sound that good since i left hawaii! i can see how philco didnt have much trouble selling them in '34 and am radio given as there was nothing else must have been a pleasure back before the chinese and their cheap e gadgets killed it

Good for you, when power fails and then with good battery set you get the same effect, nice sounds. Paul. Btw what's your 20? Location as the normal folk say.

Tubetalk1

angeles city. a stones throw 100 yds from the defunct former clark air base. about 60 miles north of manila. most of the stations out of manila. a.m. broadcast pretty much a waste of time.

Wow, I can't say what I would expect out that way for AM. Any SW action? 

Paul

Tubetalk1

actually quite a bit.i met a retd. navy et1 that i gave a hallicrafters sx99 to. he builds his own aluminum antenna's.he said the '99 came alive at his place listening to europe. im waiting for parts for my sx 43 (i.f. transformer) and before it died during the rebuild process i had lots .but ive sort of lost interest so to speak,in any english broadcast out of china for a LONG TIME. my house isnt situated well for a meaningful antenna and i live in a subdivision. if i get the sx43 going tho ill try and find the ET1 to get some antenna ideas.i lived at 1600FT alt. in rural hawaii. thats about as good as it ever got for me.

Always like to hear others experiences.tx. Paul

Tubetalk1