Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A little advice

I am considering the purchase of a philco 38-2670 tombstone and was hoping someone that is lucky enough to own one of these beauties could comment on the sound the radio produces. The person selling says it is really exceptional in volume and audio quality.
I can usually find a you tube video of any radio I’m looking at to at least get an idea but not this one.
I have not been able to even find the speaker size so it must be a fairly rare radio.
Any comments on what I should be paying would be appreciated, it is fully restored. Thanks in advance

Looks like the spkr is an 8" the console uses the 10 1/2". The output stage is the super class A style (mostly found in console models) using 6F6's rather than than the older standard base 42's. It's a little different it has a phase inverter stage instead of a 42 driving the pair of 42's thru a transformer. Performance wise it should be able to blow the spkr out of the cabinet. Rf/IF wise nothing too exciting rf amp, pentagrid mixer, single IF amp, and det/avc circuit.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So if you were using an external source for music or news or whatever it should preform very well.