Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-608 "dial" stringing

Hi,
Been working on this one off and on for months. Need some help on re-stringing the "band" indicator
moving light bulb assembly.I have the regular station dial restrung and working OK but this part was
busted when I got it so not sure how it is supposed to be done. I'm going to try and enclose 2-3 photos
of what I have done so you can have a better idea of my situation.

It is working to a degree this way but I don't think it is proper. The moving lightbulb assembly always
is forced out of place a bit (don't dare squeeze the metal any tighter against the string) when running
the band selector control from top to bottom. Bulb unit ends up lower than it should be.

Seems to me there should have been one more idler or guide where the string comes from bottom of
assembly before passing through the hole in the front frame. The sliding part looks almost like the
string was meant to be run through 2 points and not just the right side as I have tried it. BTW, I
placed a piece of white paper between front of radio and string to make it more visible for the photos.

Just to point out, there is a pulley on the band selector shaft (not visible in these photos)
which is where this "dial" string originates and then is moved as you select the band which, in turn,
runs the string up and down to which the sliding dial light is attached.

Near the left, the string passes through the front panel via an eyelet in a hole and up
over the yellowish plastic pulley. Then it passes over the "stud" (with the screw slot head). Then thru the
"clip" area of the sliding metal piece upon which the lamp rides. The sliding part has a sort of a "triple finger"
tab on it's left and right side which allows it to slide up and down on the edge of the open part of the
area through which the light shines to illuminate the corresponding "band" name slot in the front.
From here the string passes again through an eyelet in another hole in the front panel back to the pulley.

The bottom photo probably shows the setup the best. In case you are wondering what that metal coil "spring"
is around the glass of the light bulb, it actually is part of a discarded audio cable strain relief spring wire
which I put on to help contain the light a bit better so as not to light up more of the "band" indicator than the
one you want. Don't know if originally it had a cardboard or metal sleeve but this fit just right and does the
job safely.

If anyone has a drawing or explanation ... or even a photo.. of how this should be done it would be a
great help.

Thanks very much !
Harlan Icon_biggrin

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

I have one of these working.
I am going to pull the chasis soon to repair the dial indicator string
among some other things, so let me know if you still need this info.
Kevin
n0cwr@yahoo.com

Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much for your message. Yes I would be very happy to see how this is "strung" on a unit
where the items and string are still intact. I'm still working on other areas of this project so the
chassis is setting out in the open ready to work on.

It will reassure me if I have it right and if not, what you find may make it work even better.
Just let me know... if you can get a couple pix on the forum that would be great or else just
some comments about how your unit looks vs. my photos.

Again, many thanks!
Harlan Icon_biggrin

No problem.
I'll take some photos.

I think your lamp assembly is in upside down.
Dial cord attaches to the top from the center.
Therefore it is centered and tension on either side is even.
I imagine yours would tend to bind.

Not as clear yours but you'll get the idea. sorry. Hope the photo works.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Now that my chasis is out I am in need of 41 tubes. Weak and go into distoration as they warm up.
Repair dial chord.
Repair off/on switch. This looks to be a challenge!
Recapping?

Good luck.
Kevin

Thanks very much for the photo... I will have to take a close look and see what I've got wrong.. as you said
it may be in upside down and maybe the cord should be attached at a different point.
I just ordered several tubes for mine... including the pair of outputs... if not mistaken those 41s are
the same as a 6K6GT. The glass version as opposed to metal are much lower priced.
I've replaced some caps and have several more to replace in mine.. the ones in the power supply
(electrolytics).. I replaced a while ago and so that part is fine. The on/off switch seems to be OK
on mine.
Good luck and if I can be of any help I will ...... will let you know how my lamp deal checks out later.

Best regards,
Harlan Icon_biggrin

Hi Kevin,

Well I got the "dial" lamp restrung and it works better.
Your picture was just enough to help me out and get
things lined up properly... Thanks very much and
good luck with your project.

Harlan Icon_biggrin