Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what do I do with my radio

I have a Philco 1938 console radio, model 38-7XX. There is no power cord so I don't know if it works. I tried to sell it from a friend's booth in an antique shop but no takers. I really have no room for it-or a 1947 Firestone console with phonograph that I also have, and does work. Is my best bet to take them apart and sell the parts, or put them on the curb for the garbage men. The cabinets are not in the best of shape-mostly scratches-but the rest of the parts seem fine. Thanks.

hi,i would find a radio club in your area and offer them at their next swap meet,or you could post them on your local craigs' list.
please don't just trash them,someone will want them.
phil

Just sold my Firestone at the antique shop! May be there's hope for the Philco which is more rare than that one. Thanks for your help

Hi Sue,
Glad you sold the Firestone.
Collector value of the sets with phonos is generally lower, and common consoles aren't a gold mine as some shops think. If a set is complete and in restorable condition, someone will want them eventually. Some only want one set, such as a decorator piece, and are not collectors.

What I want to pass on to you is that even if a set 'works', the set could fail at any time, and take out hard to find parts.
While you might not understand a lot on the following page, you will get the general idea of why it isn't good to power up old sets you find.

http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/plugin.htm

You might want to pass that on to the buyer of the Firestone set, and suggest that he/she get is serviced so it will be a reliable and SAFE set for many more years.

Here is a way some can relate to the issue. Say you find an 1930's car in a garage with original tires, oil, fluids, belts, brakes etc. Hasn't run in years, would you want to fire it right up and take it on the freeway at 70? Sure, it might run for a while, but if one of the old parts fail, it can be disasterous.

Anyhow, it might save a really valuable radio you find later on. If you have any questions in the future about the sets you find, please let us know.

Take care Sue,
Gary.

Hi and thanks for your advice. I will have to pick up my Philco at the end of the month from the antique booth if it does not sell. So far no luck finding a radio club here in RI that might want it. I can no longer store it. So should I pull out the parts and offer them to someone? How would I know if anything works?

hi sue,what model is the philco?
is it a console?
phil

PP,

Ummm...the model number is right there in her first post. 38-7XX, a console.