Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-33

This is my first time so please be patient. A friend of mine bought ( E-Bay ) what he thought was a Philco 38-33 from the US but alas it wasn't.
A 38-33 is supposed to be a battery radio but the one that was sent to him was a 110v AC model. There is no model number on the chassis but the dial does have the Philco label on it. The tube line up is 50L6-35Z5-12Q7-12A8-12K7. My problem is this, the radio had been "got at" by someone who didn't know what they were doing resulting in missing components as well as incorrect wiring. I spent many hours trying to find to identify the chassis on Nostalgia Air's site without success. My other option is to draw out the circuit as presented to me. It was by chance that I came across this Phorum and am hoping that someone may be able to help.

Kind Regards

Rudy

Brisbane Australia

Rudy,
I don't know what kind of changes were made, but I don't see a Philco with those tubes either.
A schematic for one ot these radios might be usefuel:
http://grillecloth.com/sylvania/tubelist...ubmit&db=4

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Could be that someone tried to convert the radio to run on 120 volts AC/DC by using those tubes in place of the originals, and doing some creative rewiring. I've seen a few battery and DC sets that have had this done by someone in the past.

This will make the restoration much more challenging.

I don't believe Philco ever used 12A8, 12K7 and 12Q7 tubes in any of their sets. This, along with your statement that the radio has missing components and incorrect wiring, makes me more convinced that your set was converted to AC/DC by someone.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron and Carl,
I will check further. Is it possible to send pictures of the radio ?

Regards

Rudy