Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

32v Battery eliminator

Can anyone give me some information on this black box 32v battery eliminator found in my Philco 32?  

I can't see to find anything like a description, maker, schematic. etc.

Thanks in advance for your teaching me!

Please see the picture attached.

Scott

Attached Files Image(s)

Found a picture hope this helps David     http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1935a/#Model_32B

I am not the expert. It is an odd duck of a set if you ask me. Perhaps designed for battery? Farm Set? Remember Philco originally started as a battery company and made power supplies prior to making sets. Is there any labeling if you slide the eliminator out off that shelf, perhaps underneath?

Maybe that could provide a clue, or perhaps a more knowledgable member may add in. 

Looks very spiffy though. Have you worked on it, does it play, a recent find? What is the story behind the story?

Paul

Tubetalk1

The radio was a 32v battery which has been converted to AC.  The black box does its "magic."  It seems like a period conversion of the 1930's or 40's.  There's just no writing or logo on the black box.

Did Philco make it, or is it an after-market.  It fits the radio in its own tray as if it were designed by Philco.

It is a surprisingly strong player - great volume, selectivity, and sensitivity.  Very clear and with little noise.  I couldn't be happier.

I've only seen a few of these for sale over the years.  Since I didn't have one in my collection, I thought I would go for it.  It was in a consigment store.  I made a few offers a while ago, and was rudely rejected.  So, I dismissed it.  Until last week when it showed up again for sale at a reduced price.  I made the same offer as before (under the listed price) and this time the offer was quickly accepted. 

The cabinet isn't perfect, but it's an original finish - a survivor.  I'll keep it that way.  IAll I know aobut its history is that it came from the farmland in Indiana.

I have a 118 and several 144's with the clamshell design like this one.  It may be my new favorite because of how well it works.  It is a big radio and the eliminator/converter makes it heavy too!   As a bonus, it had a small bundle of original antenna wire stuck up front in the cabinet.  Woohoo!

What's the old adage - I rather be lucky then good?  I was certainly blessed and in the right place.

That's the story and I'm sticking to it!

Attached Files Image(s)

I’d love to know the circuitry inside and find a schematic... I’ve got a Delco 32V radio I need to build an eliminator for so I could run it off 120V AC without any hum....

The "black box" is original to the radio and serves as the set's power supply. (That shelf is there for a reason.) It was designed for use on 32V DC. If it is working on 115-125V AC, then the power supply has been modified. If it had been untouched, applying 115-125V AC would destroy it.

Schematic here:
https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

Nice radio, take good care of that grille cloth.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!  I wondered if that was original.  The set has been converted and works marvelously.  

Take care and blessings.  Praying for you!

Scott

I have a 118 in this same clamshell design. Very art deco. One of my favorite cathedrals. Yours is a nice phind! Icon_thumbup

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning