Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Predicta Siesta

Hello all! I am a freshman in college and I have been buying/reselling things pretty much full time to help out with paying for school. I have collected vintage bottles for my whole life so I really enjoy flipping antiques and other things of historical significance. I recently acquired what I think is a Philco Predicta Siesta. It seems like it's in pretty good condition. I don't think the screen has any cracks. I took it home and plugged it in, and it started smelling like smoke so I unplugged it immediately. That's the only "testing" I've done with it. This is the first antique TV and Philco product I've ever owned. As I said, I'd eventually like to sell it to a good home. So, approximately what is it worth in the condition it's in? Would it be wise to have it restored (or at least get it working properly)? If so, who has experience working with these, how much does it usually cost to fixed up, how much would it be worth when it's working/restored, etc? 

Photos can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r00ltir60lqf7w...a.zip?dl=0

Also, if anyone would be interested in purchasing the TV when I decide what I'm doing with it, you can contact me on here or at my email: waylonstephens144@gmail.com

Thanks,
Waylon

$200 approximately. Could be more, could be less. You having plugged it in and pulling the smoke out does not help appreciation. Next time try to refrain from plugging in unrestored antique electronic devices, this is a big no-no.
If you have it restored, it will appreciate, but you will likely spend more on restoration than you will get back selling it after that, so unless you intend to start your own collection, for you the best way to simply sell it to someone who wants it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The big 64,000 $ question is does it crt (picture tube) have any life left in it? If it doesn't they are very difficult to find replacements for. From a service stand point working on one of these sets is no picnic. I would value it at a bit less than Mike did...

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Well, I meant it if the tube is good. If not then it ain't $200.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.